The Student Room Group

*HELP* I'm considering dropping out of Uni..

TL;DR: Thinking about dropping out, how much will I have to pay if I do, is it a good idea to drop out early and consider my options.

So, I'm currently studying a BA Business Economics course at Sheffield Hallam University and I'm beginning to second guess whether this is what I really want to do. The thing that is extremely throwing me off about this course is the Maths aspect and how advanced it is (for me at least).

I never did Maths or Economics at A-level, I actually did a Sports course at BTEC, but soon realised it wasn't for me, to at least get a career out of it, despite getting 'good grades' on the course coming out with a D*D*D*.

I guess I didn't do the appropriate research before choosing a course, since I actually applied to do Sports as a Business at SHU, but I desperately wanted to change it, so I basically just chose a course that seemed interesting and 'credible' and out of panic, opted for Business Economics.

Touching on the Maths aspect of the course, even the people who studied Maths at A-level are struggling with the content, and most of them didn't expect the Maths to be this advanced on this course.

Before starting the course, I actually contacted the course leader asking about the Maths content (this was always a worry for me), and he said that my grade (B at GCSE) would be absolutely fine for the Maths on the course. Boy was he wrong, but again, I guess it's hard to judge whether someone's going to be suited on the course by a GCSE grade, I just feel like I was a little mislead.

Anyway, this all dawned on me when revising for this Maths exam that I have this Friday, I completely understood none of the stuff I was trying to revise, and then I was thinking to myself 'Why am I doing this? Why am I forcing myself to learn something that I don't want to do?'. Now this is why I'm writing this post, I need some advice on what I should do, and what would be the 'best' option for me. I know that the only person that can make the decision of this is me, I'd just like to hear people's thoughts and opinions on my situation, and what the best solution (from their POV) would be.

What I'm considering to do is drop out this Semester, since then I will only owe what I've paid so far for the Tuition Fee's (roughly £2,300), and I don't live away so I won't be tied to a contract for £5,500+. As for the Maintenance Loan I got (around £2,200), I've spent a lot of it on a Gaming PC, so essentially I could sell the PC in a year or two for around £1,500 which means I wouldn't be in much debt at all since I can pretty much get back all of the money that I spent (if needs be).

*I think I would only have to pay the Tuition Fees for this Semester right, and not the whole year? (considering that I dropped out in the first Semester).*

After dropping out, I would work at the part-time job I have for a source of income, and also heavily research for courses that I'd actually be interested in doing, and not rushing to a decision. Another thing I was considering doing is trying to self-learn the basics of a language in preparation for taking on a language at University (that's IF I decide to drop out, and of course decide to go to University again). I just feel like cutting my losses for this year would be appropriate, and really taking some time out to think about my career and life paths.

However, I must mention, I am pretty interested and I'm actually considering doing a BSc Real Estate course, but I still need to look into that further and see if it's the right course for me (don't make this mistake again). So if anyone reading this is taking a Real Estate course, feel free to share what it's like as I'd really like to hear, or if someone could direct me to somewhere that discusses Real Estate courses.

Feel free to express your thoughts and opinions on my situation as it would help massively :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest