CarnageKeith
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello TSR,

I need some help with Boolean algebra. I understand with some equations how to do them, but not so with others. I have two examples which I have the answers provided for, but I don't understand how to get to them. This was never explained. No matter what order I apply the rules, I get completely lost.

Example 1) ~E.~F.~G+~E.F.G+E.~F.G

Example 2) U.V.W.X.Y+U.V.W+U.V.W.X.Y.Z+U.V+ U.V.W.X

Any help would be well appreciated, as I can't find any helpful resources on line or from the in class notes. Everything only says rules, and not how to work our or apply.

Thank you
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CarnageKeith)
Hello TSR,

I need some help with Boolean algebra. I understand with some equations how to do them, but not so with others. I have two examples which I have the answers provided for, but I don't understand how to get to them. This was never explained. No matter what order I apply the rules, I get completely lost.

Example 1) ~E.~F.~G+~E.F.G+E.~F.G

Example 2) U.V.W.X.Y+U.V.W+U.V.W.X.Y.Z+U.V+ U.V.W.X

Any help would be well appreciated, as I can't find any helpful resources on line or from the in class notes. Everything only says rules, and not how to work our or apply.

Thank you
Not an expert. That said:

What rules/operations are you allowed?

1. Can't see much you can do with that. What answer do they give? I assume you're just simplifying.

2. Looks to reduce to U.V

Uses variations on A + A.B is equivalent to A.(1+B), equiv. A.(1) equiv. A.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 2 years ago
CarnageKeith
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Not an expert. That said:

What rules/operations are you allowed?

1. Can't see much you can do with that. What answer do they give? I assume you're just simplifying.

2. Looks to reduce to U.V

Uses variations on A + A.B is equivalent to A.(1+B), equiv. A.(1) equiv. A.
Thank you for your resoponse!

They havent given us too much to go off, there is a list of all the laws... so communative, annulment, identity, idempotent, complement and double negation. along with de morgans theroum but no explnation how to use them. It doesnt say how I should act when things (such as C.D + C.D.E) are anded /or'ed together. I would show working but its mostly just crossing things out endlessly on my pad, and not getting to where I should be. I found some examples, but they are really really basic, literall just 'AB+AB+AC+BB+BC' which I can work out fine since the tokens (if you will) are repeated. I just dont get how to work out the more complicated ones and which steps I need to take to get there.

U.V is correct for example two, my apologies I forgot to include the correct answers. I cant find the notes Example 1 was in, I will check my bag and update.

Thank you very much once again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (87)
28.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
38.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.03%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise