The Student Room Group

First car

I’m looking to get a Renault Megane 2010, 1.5l? Is this a good car for a first car or is it average? Wasn’t sure if I could get a better car for the money,
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m looking to get a Renault Megane 2010, 1.5l? Is this a good car for a first car or is it average? Wasn’t sure if I could get a better car for the money,

Doesn’t cost much to insure compared to a Ford Focus or a Mini Cooper. Ideally make sure that the car you look at has done below 50,000 miles.
Perhaps take a look at a Peugeot 208? They’re very easy to drive and cost effective
(edited 5 years ago)
Didn't really mention how much it was nor the insurance cost.
Original post by Ash:)
Doesn’t cost much to insure compared to a Ford Focus or a Mini Cooper. Ideally make sure that the car you look at has done below 50,000 miles.
Perhaps take a look at a Peugeot 208? They’re very easy to drive and cost effective

Why? The engine is made of plasteline to break after so little mileage?
Suzuki swifts are nice. I own a 1.2L swift and get good mpg and road tax is only £30 a year. Only downside is its practicality which isnt the best (small boot and not much room in the back - but adequate for most). They are fairly cheap as well. Great first car tbh
Its up to you what you get as a first car, as you know what you will use the car for (going to work, college, short trips, long motorway drives etc). Just dont get something stupid like a bmw or audi or something as your first car.
Insurance wise- you would have to get some quotes for yourself as we cant tell you how much it would be.
My first car was a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. £30 road tax, spacious and cheap to run. Insurance cheap too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I've recently passed and I've got myself a cheap 1.6 ford focus. Nice and nippy but quite cheap on insurance with a black box :smile:
Renault are known for their electrical faults etc, I'd personally never touch a French car - but as it's your first car I wouldn't be too picky!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending