The Student Room Group

Lacking the grades for the Architect degree

Hello,

I’m currently in the British Army and want a career change after 7 years. It’s been a dream for a long time to be an architect and persue this career path. My only problems is that I lack the grades I need to get onto the degree. I saw hope when I found out about foundation degrees and thought this was my way in, but you still need C GCSE maths and English and I have D for both. My problem being I have a mortgage and have sat down with my partner and we can fund everthing If I go to uni and get the funding available. But being I can’t get onto the foundation degree I’d need to do and access course and work part time, with this we couldn’t afford to live so I’m abit stuff. Does anyone know if foundation degrees can be wavered?

Many thanks In advance
Original post by Peterball93
Hello,

I’m currently in the British Army and want a career change after 7 years. It’s been a dream for a long time to be an architect and persue this career path. My only problems is that I lack the grades I need to get onto the degree. I saw hope when I found out about foundation degrees and thought this was my way in, but you still need C GCSE maths and English and I have D for both. My problem being I have a mortgage and have sat down with my partner and we can fund everthing If I go to uni and get the funding available. But being I can’t get onto the foundation degree I’d need to do and access course and work part time, with this we couldn’t afford to live so I’m abit stuff. Does anyone know if foundation degrees can be wavered?

Many thanks In advance

I’ve never heard of a foundation degree being wavered but anything’s possible!

Have you looked at functional skills for Maths and English? It’s also good to see if your universities will take alternative qualifications and which ones they will take.
Reply 2
Original post by Pseudo Intellect
I’ve never heard of a foundation degree being wavered but anything’s possible!

Have you looked at functional skills for Maths and English? It’s also good to see if your universities will take alternative qualifications and which ones they will take.

I have got functional skills L2 but unis don’t recognise this as a qualification. It’s frustrating because I want to further my self but really hitting walls.
Original post by Peterball93
I have got functional skills L2 but unis don’t recognise this as a qualification. It’s frustrating because I want to further my self but really hitting walls.

Have you rung the universities individually? A lot of them do consider people’s individual circumstances. I’m surprised they didn’t recognise your functional skills level 2.

Quick Reply

Latest