egoisticynical
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I have a doubt. My teacher said collagen is secondary structure, but in my book it says it’s quaternary. Which one is it? And why? Thank you!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
extremecat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is definitely quaternary. A secondary structure suggests that only one protein chain is present, whereas collagen consists of mutiple chains twisted together, held by hydrogen bonds.
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
collagen has secondary and quaternary structure
GreenDeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by egoisticynical)
So I have a doubt. My teacher said collagen is secondary structure, but in my book it says it’s quaternary. Which one is it? And why? Thank you!
I would think it is secondary as it is formed from a helical structure of amino acids, it is not that complicated with multiple modules like a quaternary. Perhaps your book means something more specific made out of collagen, like in teeth?
egoisticynical
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenDeath)
I would think it is secondary as it is formed from a helical structure of amino acids, it is not that complicated with multiple modules like a quaternary. Perhaps your book means something more specific made out of collagen, like in teeth?
No, the book just mentioned that it’s quaternary with no specific structure. It also mentions that most fibrous proteins are secondary. So I thought that perhaps collagen is an exception.
egoisticynical
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobbJo)
collagen has secondary and quaternary structure
Can you elaborate? My teacher said that too when i asked her again and im now more confused
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.08%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.15%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads