The Student Room Group

Driving with no insurance

Hi. What I enquire about will harsh, but please do not throwing rocks, as a I got enough for my whole life now.

So I bought a car. I just wanted to drive it to home very quickly but my sat nav went wrong, and I reached a big roundabout. I did a bit collision, that was my fault, but nothing serious.

But because I would be my first car ever and I just wanted to get home asap, had no insurance, no Road tax, no L plates, and the top of that I had only provisional licence. My test would have been this week, so close, I just wanted to have someone who is above 21 and own a 3 year licence and practice practice practice all along. I can't believe this happened in such a sort period but I can do nothing about it now.

What penalties will I face in this case?

And again, please do not throw rocks. I.know what I did, and if I have to, I go to court and face everything I get.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fine and a ban, probably.
Reply 2
Sorry I forgot to tell after the accident we changed details with the other one, immediately put on the plates , got home very quickly, paid the tax, insurance, everything. I was so close for God's sake I still can't believe it happened. It wasn't like I didn't want to do it or I had no money for it or I wanted to break the law on purpose and in secret. **** no. One drive and that's it, no other move without got everything done.
Original post by Flower56560
Sorry I forgot to tell after the accident we changed details with the other one, immediately put on the plates , got home very quickly, paid the tax, insurance, everything. I was so close for God's sake I still can't believe it happened. It wasn't like I didn't want to do it or I had no money for it or I wanted to break the law on purpose and in secret. **** no. One drive and that's it, no other move without got everything done.

You can be frustrated that it was “Just the one time” but that’s all it takes. You drove having not passed your test and caused a collision. As said above, it’ll likely be a fine and a driving ban.

It’s not throwing a rock - It’s about safety. You could have killed somebody.
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
You can be frustrated that it was “Just the one time” but that’s all it takes. You drove having not passed your test and caused a collision. As said above, it’ll likely be a fine and a driving ban.

It’s not throwing a rock - It’s about safety. You could have killed somebody.

Are the police involved yet? If not, settle up privately.
Original post by Vinny C
Are the police involved yet? If not, settle up privately.

^^^ @OP, this is an option
Reply 6
He is not open to it. He ignores everything I say about doing this without involving the insurers. I think it is the same with the police .
Reply 7
^^^ @OP, this is an option

Thanks for that bit at the beginning. Any more tools like that?
Reply 8
Basically what I am afraid of the most is being imprisoned because of this. Could it be happen?
It is my first accident ever ,first trouble with the police, anyway I am crystal clear. Does it matter at all?
You need banning.

Stunts like this drive up everyone else insurance!
I know I am sorry. :frown:
I try to talk with solicitors / lawyers to help this case, but what is the worst might happen ?...
Original post by Vinny C
Thanks for that bit at the beginning. Any more tools like that?

Sorry, what? You’ve lost me.
Sorry, what? You’ve lost me.

You did a ^^^@OP, presumably to link it to the original poster.
pay for the other guys damages privately
He is not willing to do it unfortunately .
The other person has no reason to settle privately.
He is the good-guy type who has reported this to his insurer immediately I think. Ignores everything I say to him about deal with it privately.
Original post by Flower56560
He is the good-guy type who has reported this to his insurer immediately I think. Ignores everything I say to him about deal with it privately.

Look at it from his view, he’s been hit by an uninsured driver with no right to be on the road. He’s doing everything by the book, doesn’t make him a good guy type. It makes him right.
I didn't say he is not right. Everything he is doing is right and understandable but it could be so much easy for both of us if we could make a deal. For him and me as well.
But still I understand If he is afraid as well.

Quick Reply

Latest