Doctor Who, and the BBC, is full of bias now Watch

muthalganesan18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The BBC is focusing mostly on the geopolitics of Pakistan whilst claiming it's discussing Indian politics and dealing with social issues relating to South Asia.

1) Pakistanis really ought not to be classified as South Asian. They are mostly either Middle Easterners (Persians) and mixed-between Middle Easterners and Indians - similar situations happen in North Africa and Eastern Europe. They share some cultural similarities with the Punjab region but also share similarities with the Middle East, and the Punjab region itself is at an extremity of South Asia (on the border with Pakistan).

2) The partition isn't a major political issue outside the border regions with Pakistan and Bangladesh. The only Muslims outside these regions who care about Pakistanis are usually a conservative religious types. A lot of them would think that partition saved Indian politics and culture from being saddled by a large troublesome Muslim community who are racially/culturally dubious.

3) The BBC is touched on a controversial Indian political issue during a period with Islamophobia is rising in both the UK and over in India - the only western-born South Asians where Islamophobia isn't very common is over in the US. When Hindus and Muslims hate each other in the UK, it's wrong to support only one side of the argument. It's also arguable if partition is a Hindu-Muslim issue or simply to do with Punjab and Bengal considering most Muslims in South Asia don't usually care.

I don't see why Doctor Who needs to take sides in problematic race relations issues. In fact, isn't it illegal for the BBC to take sides like this?
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tom Baker was the best one.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Axiomasher)
Tom Baker was the best one.
bump
Tom6270
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The past series so far has been rubbish. The stories are too politically correct. I am not a fan of a female Dr. Who however I feel like she has been let down by poor writing. This is the end of Dr. Who.
byeongkwans
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a sci-fi show which explores significant points in history. It can explore and take whatever stance it likes. If it's too ""PC"" for you, stop watching it?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Weren't the killers and victim all Hindu, because the victim wanted to marry a Muslim?
Tawheed
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The agenda really is to show that:

1. The BBC will go out of its way (the vast majority of the time) to select Muslim women to appear on its various platforms who do not wear the Hijab. This is to help encourage other Muslim women , and society at large, to demonstrate that this is - in their mind - a cultural act, Religion is essentially man-made, and for people to finally integrate, take of their head coverings and step into the modern world.

2. The story line of the Hindu man marrying the Muslim woman is forbidden in in Islam, clear cut. The Quran forbids it. Once more there is an attempt to emphasise that the time has come to bin the Quran, bin religion, take the nice bits as good culture and heritage, and embrace the secular 21st century.

They will represent Islam and Muslims based on the very fringes, and with a clear agenda in mind.

The majority of their Muslim audience who are women cover their hair, and wear some form of 'modest' clothing. The vast majority would never marry someone who worshipped idols, let alone a non-Muslim, as this is clearly against the Quran and what Islam advocates.

I'm afraid the majority of Muslims would prefer no representation, rather than one with a clear agenda.
Last edited by Tawheed; 1 year ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please grow up, dont like it? Dont watch it
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by chooseanother)
It's a sci-fi show which explores significant points in history. It can explore and take whatever stance it likes. If it's too ""PC"" for you, stop watching it?
It's not "PC" even though. It's just written from the prespective of a Pakistani who wants to be called Indian. They are racially Middle Eastern for gods sake.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Please grow up, dont like it? Dont watch it
It's a major political controversy. If you don't like political discussion then how are you going to live in the real world? You need to do some growing up yourself.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by muthalganesan18)
It's a major political controversy. If you don't like political discussion then how are you going to live in the real world? You need to do some growing up yourself.
You do realise Dr Who is science fiction?

Why not complain to the beeb and start a protest.
Im impressed how triggered you are.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People pretending Doctor Who hasn't always been a quirky look at history with a sci-fi twist? If you say so...
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
People pretending Doctor Who hasn't always been a quirky look at history with a sci-fi twist? If you say so...
It's a controversial political issue. It's like covering the Northern Ireland troubles or Scottish Independence.
byeongkwans
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not "PC" even though. It's just written from the prespective of a Pakistani who wants to be called Indian. They are racially Middle Eastern for gods sake.
It's the scriptwriter's ultimate choice to use whatever perspective they want and I don't think there's much we can do to change that. The first inhabitants of Pakistan were Indian, even though now they're probably better considered Middle Eastern. So perhaps he chose to portray it in that way for historical accuracy? I doubt most of the viewers would've delved into the politics behind this episode. The partition isn't a topic generally taught in schools. Even though I'm Indian, I know less about it than I'd like to admit.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by chooseanother)
It's the scriptwriter's ultimate choice to use whatever perspective they want and I don't think there's much we can do to change that. The first inhabitants of Pakistan were Indian, even though now they're probably better considered Middle Eastern. So perhaps he chose to portray it in that way for historical accuracy? I doubt most of the viewers would've delved into the politics behind this episode. The partition isn't a topic generally taught in schools. Even though I'm Indian, I know less about it than I'd like to admit.
The first inhabitants of South Asia were aboriginals.

The aboriginals mixed with the Early Stepps Migrants to form South Indians (who built the Indus Valley in Pakistan and North-West India, the Ancient Greece of South Asia).

Then the South Indians mixed with Latter Stepps Migrants to form North Indians; the two groups moved southwards, with the North Indians cataloguing the Vedas into Sanskrit.
byeongkwans
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The first inhabitants of South Asia were aboriginals.

The aboriginals mixed with the Early Stepps Migrants to form South Indians (who built the Indus Valley in Pakistan and North-West India, the Ancient Greece of South Asia).

Then the South Indians mixed with Latter Stepps Migrants to form North Indians; the two groups moved southwards, with the North Indians cataloguing the Vedas into Sanskrit.
Okay I didn't think we'd need to go that far back in time. If you're so upset by this why not complain to the BBC? I doubt this thread is going to have much of an impact.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Saw the Lady Dr Who once... she was amazing. Unfortunately, Sunday... clashes with Church. Is it repeated?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Complain to the BBC in Sanskrit.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a controversial political issue. It's like covering the Northern Ireland troubles or Scottish Independence.
And in the original run they covered things like the miners strike (through a parallel with an alien planet). It's not shied away from controversial political issues in the past.

Doctor Who has always been political and always been left wing: the Doctor is supposed to be the champion of the downtrodden, making them portray right wing beliefs would be as ridiculous as side-supply Jesus.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Say it together, numpties; "it's a kids show".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (371)
44.48%
No (88)
10.55%
I'm not old enough (375)
44.96%

Watched Threads