Have your say on GCSE Computer Science assessment Watch

Poll: How should GCSE Computer Science assess programming skills?
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
The Learn Ranger
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Have your say on GCSE Computer Science assessment

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Ofqual is consulting on the future of assessing programming skills for GCSE Computer Science.

TSR is going to respond and this is the thread where you can have your say.

Background

The original plan was to assess programming skills through a non-examined assessment under tightly-controlled conditions.

The problem was that the tasks were posted on platforms like TSR and students (and teachers) discussed them, suggesting approaches and solutions.

Ofqual’s response was to change the assessment rules mid-course so the programming task didn’t count towards the final grade.

Now they are looking for a longer-term solution and have suggested three options to assess programming skills.

All the detail is here in the Ofqual consultation document.

Post your view below and vote for one of the three options in the poll.

The poll and thread will close at the end of Monday 19th November.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just give an on-screen examination. I personally think that's the best way to do it.
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Just give an on-screen examination. I personally think that's the best way to do it.
I'd agree with this. It eradicates the issue of cheating, and furthermore prepares the students for A-level Computer Science (where on-screen programming exams already take place).

It would be illogical to do anything else. A separate 'programming ability' part that counts for nothing towards the overall grade will probably lead to students not bothering to learn to program, since doing so requires sticking at a problem for sometimes hours on end. If you're a GCSE student who is taking CompSci but does not have a passion for it, you will not bother.
Last edited by Jackudy3; 5 months ago
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Personally, I reckon an on-screen examination would be ideal. I sat my GCSEs this year and I felt like my final grade didn't reflect my ability in computer science, as I am an avid programmer but wasn't really given the opportunity to demonstrate my programming abilities, which cost me the grade I wanted.

I think that an on-screen examination would eliminate the possibility of cheating (if done right) whilst still allowing students to demonstrate their programming skills.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think the best idea is the one where you are given 5 hours over a day to do the programming. 20 hours was unnecessary for the NEA and most people had finished well before that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Gcsesuicide
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
We don't need 20 hours - it's just a waste. Like Food Tech, just give us a day of curriculum and we have our screens monitored as 5 hours is more than enough to produce a good enough piece of code for GCSE
The Learn Ranger
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
file:///C:/Users/pete.langley/Dropbo...20Science.html
(Original post by Tolgarda)
(Original post by Jackudy3)
I'd agree with this. It eradicates the issue of cheating, and furthermore prepares the students for A-level Computer Science (where on-screen programming exams already take place).

It would be illogical to do anything else. A separate 'programming ability' part that counts for nothing towards the overall grade will probably lead to students not bothering to learn to program, since doing so requires sticking at a problem for sometimes hours on end. If you're a GCSE student who is taking CompSci but does not have a passion for it, you will not bother.
(Original post by Mikos)
Personally, I reckon an on-screen examination would be ideal. I sat my GCSEs this year and I felt like my final grade didn't reflect my ability in computer science, as I am an avid programmer but wasn't really given the opportunity to demonstrate my programming abilities, which cost me the grade I wanted.

I think that an on-screen examination would eliminate the possibility of cheating (if done right) whilst still allowing students to demonstrate their programming skills.
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
I think the best idea is the one where you are given 5 hours over a day to do the programming. 20 hours was unnecessary for the NEA and most people had finished well before that.
(Original post by Gcsesuicide)
We don't need 20 hours - it's just a waste. Like Food Tech, just give us a day of curriculum and we have our screens monitored as 5 hours is more than enough to produce a good enough piece of code for GCSE
Thanks so much for your responses. I have now provided online feedback on behalf of TSR based on the points you have raised which are in agreement with moving to an online exam.

Unfortunately the online platform used by Ofqual in this case is not possible to transfer into pdf format so I cannot send you the detail of the TSR response.

Thanks again - let's watch out and see what happens ....
Hana7321
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Guys who has English literature exam
Willsterj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
tomorrow afternoon?
(Original post by Hana7321)
Guys who has English literature exam
Hana7321
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I need help on the essay and quote
Carly613
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Me sadly
(Original post by Willsterj)
tomorrow afternoon?
kebabs123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
hi everybody
MoonSponge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello
(Original post by kebabs123)
hi everybody
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (56)
5.72%
Fairly positive (304)
31.05%
Just another year... (387)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (232)
23.7%

Watched Threads