The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Southampton???

Hi, I’m applying to English and Philosophy with A*AB and I’m certain on applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter and Edinburgh but I’m reallyyyyy struggling to choose my 5th choice. Anyone have any info about the quality of teaching at the unis, student life etc and also the drama and music societies available ( I feel like Glasgow will be better on this front??), or just anything you think is important to know about the unis :smile:
Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Original post by L.mckk01
Hi, I’m applying to English and Philosophy with A*AB and I’m certain on applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter and Edinburgh but I’m reallyyyyy struggling to choose my 5th choice. Anyone have any info about the quality of teaching at the unis, student life etc and also the drama and music societies available ( I feel like Glasgow will be better on this front??), or just anything you think is important to know about the unis :smile:
Thanks!!!

Just doing a quick lil bump up
Thanks!!!

You don't have to use all 5 choices. Apply with the 4 you're sure about and once you've got some offers and done some more thinking you can decide in January if you want to use your 5th choice and add it on Track
Reply 3
or just anything you think is important to know about the unis

Have you compared their course structures and course coverage? And the types of assessment. Those are quite important to your experience as a student and applicants often forget to consider them. It's unlikely that either option will be clearly better but you might find that the way things are organised at one of the two would suit your personal preferences and style of learning much more.

Both are good student cities and both universities foster lively communities. In terms of location, rather than course, it again mostly comes down to what you prefer: mid-sized or large, independent-minded or within London's orbit, &c. Southampton has better weather and brighter winters, if that's a factor!
i studied genetics at Glasgow, and our MVLS department is amazing. i havent heard great things about the arts and humanities department though. in all other respects Glasgow is amazing
Reply 5
Original post by username2300427
i studied genetics at Glasgow, and our MVLS department is amazing. i havent heard great things about the arts and humanities department though. in all other respects Glasgow is amazing

Have you heard something about the electronics and photonics manufacturing??? Please help

Quick Reply

Latest