seffington
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I have myself in a bit of a pickle;

I have applied to uni for Ancient History and received all 5 of my offers, however, back when I first started VI form, I was adamant that I wanted to study Classics, but this faded as school went on - so I feel like I have rushed into this decision to study Ancient History rather than Classics. I changed my Manchester course to Classics no problem, and the uni itself is nice but I wasn't too fussed by it at the open day. You see, as much as these two courses are similar, the universities I applied to were for their Ancient History course, not their Classics course, and I can't ask the three of the unis I have applied to to change my course to Classics, as they have Latin/Greek as a prerequisite. I am thinking of a gap year so I can fully decide what to do then reapply. I'm projected AAAA, but definitely think I could achieve at least A*A*AA; so I would consider applying for Oxford, KCL, Bristol, Manchester and Liverpool; the only thing being, what would I do with my gap year? it would have to be academic and relevant to my chosen degree, I just need ideas of what I could actually do with this.

Many thanks

Josef
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by seffington)
So I have myself in a bit of a pickle;

I have applied to uni for Ancient History and received all 5 of my offers, however, back when I first started VI form, I was adamant that I wanted to study Classics, but this faded as school went on - so I feel like I have rushed into this decision to study Ancient History rather than Classics. I changed my Manchester course to Classics no problem, and the uni itself is nice but I wasn't too fussed by it at the open day. You see, as much as these two courses are similar, the universities I applied to were for their Ancient History course, not their Classics course, and I can't ask the three of the unis I have applied to to change my course to Classics, as they have Latin/Greek as a prerequisite. I am thinking of a gap year so I can fully decide what to do then reapply. I'm projected AAAA, but definitely think I could achieve at least A*A*AA; so I would consider applying for Oxford, KCL, Bristol, Manchester and Liverpool; the only thing being, what would I do with my gap year? it would have to be academic and relevant to my chosen degree, I just need ideas of what I could actually do with this.

Many thanks

Josef
Why would it have to be academic?

Surely your advantage is you will know your grades?

Ask if you can assist in the classics department of your local uni? They might have some research going on.
Write a paper?
Go travelling?
Read a lo of relevant material?
Museum?
Join your local unis classics society an get involved in some drama productions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads