The Student Room Group

Predicted all A*s, but worried that attendance will affect my uni application?

Hey. Even as I write this, I should be in period 1 English Language.

I'm currently in year 13 and thinking of applying to some top unis next year (aiming for KCL or Warwick) to study Psychology and my UCAS predicted grades are all A*s, even though the maximum I need is AAA, the minimum ABB.

Despite taking quite a lot of time off school (last year my attendance was 74%, mainly due to certain difficulties in my family life and also, my teachers were a bit crap), I had achieved 2 A's and 2 A*s in the year 12 exams. This is going to sound awful but right now I'm averaging 1 day off per week, some weeks 2 but I have been focusing on coursework, also keeping up with my subjects by getting homework from friends and taking notes at my own pace, because I find that I am able to learn a lot better at home. After I finish this coursework (worth 20% of my final grade) I swear I will be attending everyday, but for the time being, I just want to focus on it and get it done with.

Now here's the thing. This morning after my mum phoned in sick for me, she said something like 'it will be really difficult to get into university if your attendance is bad, regardless of your good grades'. Is this true? I read in older threads (from 2010) that the most important things are your grades, personal statement, teacher reference... I know that poor attendance may be inferred if the teacher doesn't mention it. Also, it's been 8 years and I don't know if unis value attendance a lot more now?

I'm really worried that my bad attendance will hurt my chances of getting into uni, let alone top unis like I mentioned earlier. Say if I do meet the entry requirements in the end, would 75-80% attendance be a complete turn-off? (can't think of a better word right now but you get my point).

If anyone has any experience with this or can even relate, that'd be really useful. Thank you.
I have no experience with this kind of thing but I do know that in my school, poor attendance is something that a teacher might put in your reference. Even though teachers want to get you into uni, some will be very honest and will say if you don’t show up to their class. It’s probably not the biggest problem but some unis might see it as lack of motivation, laziness etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending