The Student Room Group

What a levels are required for pharmacology?

Hi everyone, I’m unsure what courses to do as I’m not sure on psychology anymore. But I’ve found pharmacology, it’s not pharmacy like actually making the drugs. If anyone else is applying for this what a levels would I need? Would all unis expect chemistry? I do biology,psychology and English. :smile:
Original post by Lucygrace260616
Hi everyone, I’m unsure what courses to do as I’m not sure on psychology anymore. But I’ve found pharmacology, it’s not pharmacy like actually making the drugs. If anyone else is applying for this what a levels would I need? Would all unis expect chemistry? I do biology,psychology and English. :smile:

You have to do research and check with your chosen uni as they all have their own policies.

Manchester

A-level

We require grades AAA-ABB, including two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (the Hard Sciences). You must have a grade A in at least one Hard Science and pass the practical assessments in these subjects.

If your grades are AAB or higher, we will accept a grade A in Geography, Psychology, Environmental Studies or PE in place of one of the Hard Sciences.

Subjects with overlapping content are not normally considered as separate A-levels, eg Further Maths is not considered alongside Maths and Human Biology is not considered alongside Biology.

Bristol

A-level
Standard offer AAB including Chemistry and one of the following subjects: Biology or Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics

Nottingham Trent
A-levels BBB, including Biology;

Liverpool
A level offer
Typical A level offer AAB
Subject requirements
Chemistry A level plus a second science, preferably Biology, at A level.

Huddersfield

Entry requirements

BBCat A Level including a grade B in Chemistry, or a Grade C in Chemistry plus a grade B in another relevant Science subject. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.

Birmingham

Entry requirements
Typical A level offer AAB - ABB including Chemistry and one other science (Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Statistics) with (where applicable) a pass in the practical element of the science A level. Please note, General Studies will not be accepted.

So understandably it seems like Chemistry is held to ve very important by most unis. the way to get round it is to do the foundation year.

NTU was the only one I found without but there may be others.
Yeah they all seem to want chemistry which is understandable. Thank you so much for tour help though! ☺️

Hi @Lucygrace260616
Yes it's correct that we do ask for Chemistry for Pharmacology, but you could consider taking a Science Extended Degree to give you access to the Pharmacology degree. Students find it's a really good route into a science course as it gives you an excellent foundation base on which to build on in your BSc(Hons) degree.
Alternatively, have you considered a course which would build on your Biology A Level? We offer courses like Biomedicine, Medical Biology or Medical Genetics which would accept a Biology A Level.
Are you thinking of applying to universities for 2019 start? :smile:
Have you had a look at any universities yet?
Speak soon,
Rachel
Thank you for you reply! And biomedicine seems interesting. I’m applying for 2020 start I just want to start thinking now so I make a correct choice :smile:
Thank you for you reply! And biomedicine seems interesting. I’m applying for 2020 start I just want to start thinking now so I make a correct choice :smile:

That makes good sense :smile: visit a few unis on Open Days, it's a great way to see the facilities and have a go at some practical demonstrations which is good fun! The forensics team show visitors how to test for blood and look at fingerprints in their demonstration!
Hopefully see you soon!
Good luck with your research.
Rachel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending