Ktweed
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This is question F6.2 from Isaac Physics.

Calculate the orbital time period in years for a planet going round the Sun in an orbit of radius twice that of Earth.
Mass of Earth = 5.98×10^24kg
Radius of Earth = 6400km
Seconds per year: 3.156×10^7

In question 1, I had to calculate the mass of the sun which I derived and used the equation (w^2 x r^3)/G = M and got 2.01e30 kg which was correct.

I have tried using the same equation but rearranging it for omega to then calculate the time period from this but I get a value of (24.85 s) 7.87e-7 years which is obviously wrong?
TIA
Ktweed
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Ktweed)

Calculate the orbital time period in years for a planet going round the Sun in an orbit of radius twice that of Earth.
Radius of Earth = 6400km

In question 1, I had to calculate the mass of the sun which I derived and used the equation (w^2 x r^3)/G = M and got 2.01e30 kg which was correct.

I have tried using the same equation but rearranging it for omega to then calculate the time period from this but I get a value of (24.85 s) 7.87e-7 years which is obviously wrong?
TIA
I have now correctly worked out this question using Keplers 3rd law to get T=2.83 years
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ktweed)

Radius of Earth = 6400km

TIA
You don't need a lot of unit conversion for this type of question
it's asking for a ratio of periods (1 year is of course one orbital period of the sun for an object at one AU) and giving you a ratio of distances

you should be able to get it with just T2=r3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed