RoseBee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey!

I'm in the process of establishing the story of my first every play, and I have some great ideas for characters and a place setting and a tiny echo of a plot, but I'm massively stuck on time setting.

I'm setting the play during one of the World Wars, but I cannot decide which one. I also cannot decide the days or months that it will be set during.

Thank you,
A bad writer
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoseBee)
Hey!

I'm in the process of establishing the story of my first every play, and I have some great ideas for characters and a place setting and a tiny echo of a plot, but I'm massively stuck on time setting.

I'm setting the play during one of the World Wars, but I cannot decide which one. I also cannot decide the days or months that it will be set during.

Thank you,
A bad writer
Depends how serious you want to be about this.

Watch documentaries or films or youtube vids.

Its important to understand the historical context, what happened, when and why. What were the consequences and lessons? What happened to the people during that time? You arent really indicating which bits and how much depth you want. If your research is poor then people will spot historical inaccuracies. It will undermine the credibility of your story so do the research and then when its written check it again.

WW1 is obviously in vogue at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/ww1/docs

There is a very exhaustive documentary called the great war which I think is in 10+ parts.

Mt favourite for WW2 is the World at War.
Danelius
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Blitz would be interesting.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoseBee)
Hey!

Thank you,
A bad writer
Theres a new film out at the moment, which is made up of WW1 footage thats been colourised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...7-64842d21d211

That might inspire you or give a flavour.
RoseBee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Theres a new film out at the moment, which is made up of WW1 footage thats been colourised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...7-64842d21d211

That might inspire you or give a flavour.
That’s the footage that restarted my ideas, as I’ve had this knocking around in my head for a while.

Thank you though! I’m leaning towards WW1, but I do agree that the Blitz would be an interesting setting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (210)
43.57%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.47%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.37%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed