jamess3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
First of all, I would just like to say it is such a tough time for all of us graduates out there and it is horrible this unemployment. I am one of many of us out there finished uni end of May and graduated 2 weeks ago. I have been out of work for 5 1/2 months, compared to some people this is not a long time I know and there are people out there in a far worst position than me. I just want to share with you all how I feel because I know im not alone. It is soul destroying, for the passed 5 1/2 months iv been on the PC applying, applying, applying and have not had one interview. My CV is as good as it can possibly be in my view. The big question like 1000s of others is 'When will I get employed using my degree?' My parents keep saying to me 'it will happen, it is just a matter of when'. I do feel just useless and awful, I do appreciate parents giving me a roof etc. Any advice people? I know people do PhDs because they cant get work. I have thought about this option, could open up more doors but at the end of the day, working experience is what counts now so best option is to get a job, but I can't!! It's mad out there. Iv thought about looking abroad etc but in the UK the closest job I feel like im going to end up doing after 4 years of hard graft academically, using my MEng in Aeronautical Engineering is in Mcdonalds and I am saying that because it is how I feel. Please give me your advice and help. Many thanks for everyones time reading and I wish us all luck out there. Cheers.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To think I'm doing the same course
jamess3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bulletzone)
It is not the course, it is the opportunities, I know Brexit plays a big factor, no point in going into all that haha. The thing is we finish uni, then everything is unknown where has for the passed 4 years, the routine is going back into uni etc etc. The safest bet is to stay in education for as long as possible, which is what people are doing which is crazy. I have no words for us graduates, the skills we have
Bulletzone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did you graduate with?

2:1? first?
Last edited by Bulletzone; 2 years ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Although you mentioned it was 5 years - are you taking a year in industry?
Bulletzone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yeah doing MENG course with Pilot studies and a Year in Industry (Australia).

I'm also looking to get a Semester with a company next year (BAE or Rolls Royce).
scientific222
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same boat
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
wow this is scary stuff, im on an MSc atm, just finished my BEng in June and i am looing for grad jobs. I know u think your CV is good, but i think its worth contacting your old Unis careers service and looking for advice on completing job applications, interviews, online tests etc.

Just out of curiosity what was your old Uni and did u get a first or 2.1?

EDIT: also doing more applications will help (just make sure u save all the data and learn where u are making mistakes in the job application process) when i applied for placements i think i applied for like 50 jobs had approx 8,9 interviews and 2 job offers (and it took months for me to get an offer).

I'm just doing the grad applications atm but i can already tell i'm having more success with online testing this time round, i think practice is important (i manually went through the belbin test sheets for optimal answers it makes a big difference doing the research)
Last edited by mnot; 2 years ago
sabana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you thought about applying to something like accountancy. You're degree opens a lot of doors, there are a variety of different graduate schemes you can apply for many graduate schemes don't specify a particular degree.
jamess3
Rep:
?
I got a 2:1 MEng. It is scary stuff. But people say graduates being out of work for a year is very common and longer.
jamess3
Rep:
?
(Original post by sabana)
Have you thought about applying to something like accountancy. You're degree opens a lot of doors, there are a variety of different graduate schemes you can apply for many graduate schemes don't specify a particular degree.
I havent thought about accountancy, but I mean I have applied to many various roles, im not even looking at the Graduate Schemes too much because you get like 3000 applications foe 5 jobs with most of these companies. Im looking ay junior roles etc and entry roles just to get in.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you use your university's careers service for advice and help on building a stronger CV?
jamess3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
iv tried to get placements etc not getting any where. Life is brilliant atm aint it people haha :P
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what uni did you graduate from?
BFG9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can always join RAF as an engineer or a civilian. Or put together a real CV ...
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're applying to loads of jobs and not getting any interviews then your application isn't good enough. You claim it's as good as it can be but how have you confirmed this? Bear in mind a lot of people working in career centres are worryingly mediocre at critiquing CVs.

Do you have any experience?
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah doing MENG course with Pilot studies and a Year in Industry (Australia).

I'm also looking to get a Semester with a company next year (BAE or Rolls Royce).
You'll be fine. Most of the people who struggle coasted through uni and graduated with a degree but nothing to set them apart from all the other grads.

If you focus on employability early on and get some relevant work experience you shouldn't have much trouble.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamess3)
I havent thought about accountancy, but I mean I have applied to many various roles, im not even looking at the Graduate Schemes too much because you get like 3000 applications foe 5 jobs with most of these companies. Im looking ay junior roles etc and entry roles just to get in.
This might be why you're having trouble as entry level can often mean entry to the company rather than necessarily graduate level. Plenty of companies will describe jobs aimed at people with a few years experience as being entry level or junior level.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamess3)
First of all, I would just like to say it is such a tough time for all of us graduates out there and it is horrible this unemployment. I am one of many of us out there finished uni end of May and graduated 2 weeks ago. I have been out of work for 5 1/2 months, compared to some people this is not a long time I know and there are people out there in a far worst position than me. I just want to share with you all how I feel because I know im not alone. It is soul destroying, for the passed 5 1/2 months iv been on the PC applying, applying, applying and have not had one interview. My CV is as good as it can possibly be in my view. The big question like 1000s of others is 'When will I get employed using my degree?' My parents keep saying to me 'it will happen, it is just a matter of when'. I do feel just useless and awful, I do appreciate parents giving me a roof etc. Any advice people? I know people do PhDs because they cant get work. I have thought about this option, could open up more doors but at the end of the day, working experience is what counts now so best option is to get a job, but I can't!! It's mad out there. Iv thought about looking abroad etc but in the UK the closest job I feel like im going to end up doing after 4 years of hard graft academically, using my MEng in Aeronautical Engineering is in Mcdonalds and I am saying that because it is how I feel. Please give me your advice and help. Many thanks for everyones time reading and I wish us all luck out there. Cheers.
Have you tried looking for voluntary work in your chosen field?
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
haha yeah sounds similar to me but i got a different degree
things are going to go down before they go up. i still want another crack at graduate schemes starting 2019. my plan is temp now thru agency, apply for graduate schemes starting sept 2019. hopefully get on one. when have enough money from temp use it for work holiday/internship abroad. then come back start the grad scheme in sept. if didnt get one still in a great position in August/September cos ive got additional year of work experience and hopefully will get on one then

if youre just getting rejection after rejection maybe its your CV or cover letter thats not good enough .
Last edited by username4316350; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (40)
18.1%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (84)
38.01%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.12%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise