The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2019 Watch

Rump0le
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Here we go, another year! In the tradition of the other threads, open with area of law and location.

My interest is Criminal and looking at London for pupillage!
Last edited by Rump0le; 2 months ago
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Even from the privileged position of being someone who will be sifting through applications rather than filling them in, I have not forgotten how arduous and draining this process is. Best of luck to everyone who is applying this year, and as ever I'm happy to answer questions and offer guidance where I can (if you want to guarantee that I do see any question you have, you'll want to quote or tag me so that I get notified of it).
Shellbeach
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone have experience of applying for pupillage with extenuating cirucmstances? I'm unsure whether to declare mine or not, and wonder how they are generally recieved by Chambers.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Shellbeach)
Does anyone have experience of applying for pupillage with extenuating cirucmstances? I'm unsure whether to declare mine or not, and wonder how they are generally recieved by Chambers.
From the details that you've posted in the past about qualifications, I can't recall you needing to declare any extenuating circumstances. PM me with your circumstances and what they apply to, and I'll give you some guidance.
barbarblackship
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi! I'm looking to apply to commercial sets in my final year of undergrad, as well as various masters programmes. do you know if sets would allow you a deferred pupillage offer (i.e. to commence after one's masters)? thanks!
SRW94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barbarblackship)
hi! I'm looking to apply to commercial sets in my final year of undergrad, as well as various masters programmes. do you know if sets would allow you a deferred pupillage offer (i.e. to commence after one's masters)? thanks!
Some chambers allow it but you would need to check their website or contact them before applying - usually they allow 1 year but you would require 2 for your masters and BPTC, so I would check with the chambers.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barbarblackship)
You can only ask, but the majority of sets specifically recruit for the time that is advertised. Some recruit a year in advance, but very few recruit two years in advance (which is what you're asking, because you'd need to do the LLM and then the BPTC). However, if you secure pupillage to start in 2020 I'd suggest that whatever reason you have for doing the LLM may then become superfluous, and you may wish to consider going straight to the BPTC, especially if the Chambers won't defer the pupillage until 2021.
sliothar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All! Aiming for pupillage in a London set with a focus on public law myself.

The very best of luck to everyone this year!
rsq1789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

Applying for criminal / common law pupillages just about anywhere within reason!

Best of luck to everyone.
Annabel_rose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I've got an interview for an assessed mini-pupillage at Fountain Court tomorrow and really don't know what to expect!
I'm a non-law grad who hasn't started the GDL yet, so am nowhere near applying for pupillage. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare, or what kind of questions they'll ask?
Thanks!
baraspirant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just taken a look at the practice Watson-Glaser test for XXIV, and it looks quite hard. Does anybody happen to know what a decent score might be/how exactly they combine the score with the application score?
Cornish27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all, am applying in London to sets with a serious crime/int. crime/int. law focus.

Best of luck to everyone this time around!
CFarlee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone heard back from Northampton chambers following 1st round interviews?
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone know when results for second round interviews come out for Chartlands Chambers?

Also how did people find the? I thought they were brutal, multiple written excercises and an advocacy excercise was a lot for a day
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Annabel_rose)
Hi, I've got an interview for an assessed mini-pupillage at Fountain Court tomorrow and really don't know what to expect!
I'm a non-law grad who hasn't started the GDL yet, so am nowhere near applying for pupillage. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare, or what kind of questions they'll ask?
Thanks!
Treat it like a standard mini-pupillage, be polite and engaging, though do not engage when a client/someone other than the barrister you are shadowing is present, speak when spoken to in that situation

It may be worth looking into drafting things like attendance notes, advices and opinions. I feel they are generic enough to be used for all candidates
CFarlee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TempestLaw)
Anyone know when results for second round interviews come out for Chartlands Chambers?

Also how did people find the? I thought they were brutal, multiple written excercises and an advocacy excercise was a lot for a day
I haven’t heard back from them either yet I agree, it was brutal! I will let you know when I hear anything, good or bad.
baraspirant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
XXIV first round interview invitations are out.
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CFarlee)
I haven’t heard back from them either yet I agree, it was brutal! I will let you know when I hear anything, good or bad.
Thank you, and I will do the same

The worst were the attendance notes I had no idea how to keep them short given how in depth the cases were
Shellbeach
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by baraspirant)
XXIV first round interview invitations are out.
I'll apply to XXIV next year; what was the verbal reasoning test like this year?
baraspirant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Shellbeach)
I'll apply to XXIV next year; what was the verbal reasoning test like this year?
It's a standard Watson Glaser test, and as such the answers are liable to be completely wacky. I thought I'd completely messed it up, but obviously not!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.4%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.66%
No, but I want to start (203)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (130)
23.05%
No, I chose not to (163)
28.9%