The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2019 Watch

baraspirant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Shellbeach)
I'm not applying for pupillage this year, but I plan to next year, and I am just deciding which sets it's worth my while applying to.

Has anyone with a 2:1 has secured an interview with any of the London commercial/chancery sets (not the 'magic circle ones', e.g. Wilberforce or Maitland, but the others!).

I know it may be rare, but I just wanted to check. Thanks, and best of luck to everyone!
There were a few people with 2:1s in the final round interviews at my set - they tended to also have Masters degrees, though.
ves3925
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone know when we hear back from Zenith chambers for 1st round interviews?

I applied for their criminal pupillage, I swear I read early January somewhere but I might be confusing it with somewhere else...
rooboo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ves3925)
Does anyone know when we hear back from Zenith chambers for 1st round interviews?

I applied for their criminal pupillage, I swear I read early January somewhere but I might be confusing it with somewhere else...
I don’t remember it saying when but I’ve not heard back yet if that helps 😊
Shellbeach
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by baraspirant)
There were a few people with 2:1s in the final round interviews at my set - they tended to also have Masters degrees, though.
I do have a Masters but not in law
TPF1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Looking to apply for pupillages but find myself in a rather unusual (or rather, unfortunate...) position.I have advocacy experience, drafting experience, all good stuff for evidence of being capable to do the bar, but my degree is considered 'stale' by the BSB, and it costs a lot to get exemption to study the BPTC from the BSB (which I have not yet been accepted on). I also haven't don't the BCAT for the similar reason that I haven't been accepted to do the BPTC and, with a family, it's money I need right now that I couldn't give up on a chance.What are the chances of me being offered an interview etc. And being able to sit the BCAT, get exemption and so on thereafter?

I would add my degree is 'stale' by only 6 months.
Last edited by TPF1990; 2 months ago
Notmocked
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Celereter101)
Are you referring to the Essex Court mini-pupillage? I'm also waiting to hear back from them, hoping to get a mini in before Gateway closes. On their website it says that they will release results in the New Year (although you have probably seen that by now!).
Hi, I was wondering if you'd heard back from Essex Court yet? I know they extended the notification date but that was yesterday, and I still haven't heard either way.
Thanks
HopefulPupil_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone heard back from 2 Dr Johnson's Buildings re. first round interviews?
Celereter101
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Notmocked)
Hi, I was wondering if you'd heard back from Essex Court yet? I know they extended the notification date but that was yesterday, and I still haven't heard either way. Thanks
Nothing yet
BristolBPTC
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone heard anything from either East Anglian Chambers or College Chambers yet? Been a while now and I am wondering if it is one of those rejection by silence situations.
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone know if places frown upon being called a few years ago. I was called in 2015 though I am currently doing something that I enjoy which I am grateful for. I'm worried chambers will question why I haven't gotten pupillage in so long.

I've constantly sought out feedback and assistance and it has helped me get final round interviews for about 3 years. I cannot help but feel something may be wrong given how many final rounds I have had that have led to nothing. Feedback used to be constructive but I'm now generally told that it was very close but not much else is provided
Pupillagepls2019
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am also looking for a pupillage in London focusing on family or crime.
Last edited by Pupillagepls2019; 1 week ago
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TempestLaw)
Anyone know if places frown upon being called a few years ago. I was called in 2015 though I am currently doing something that I enjoy which I am grateful for. I'm worried chambers will question why I haven't gotten pupillage in so long.

I've constantly sought out feedback and assistance and it has helped me get final round interviews for about 3 years. I cannot help but feel something may be wrong given how many final rounds I have had that have led to nothing. Feedback used to be constructive but I'm now generally told that it was very close but not much else is provided
I am yet to come across a Chambers where the length of time it has been since you’ve been called makes any difference at all. In and of itself it’s not relevant to your strength as a candidate. One of our most recent pupils (and now a tenant) was only a few months short of it being five years call if I remember rightly.

I know it must be frustrating to be told that effectively there’s nothing negative to say about you but still not be offered pupillage. However, it is in many ways a positive. If you’re getting final round interviews consistently it shows that you are, in effect, doing everything right to get to within striking distance of the finish line. Chances are you just need a bit of luck to push you over the line. It’s relatively unlikely that you’re doing something fundamentally wrong if you’re doing everything right to get final round interviews, not least because you’d have probably been told about it in feedback by now.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I am yet to come across a Chambers where the length of time it has been since you’ve been called makes any difference at all. In and of itself it’s not relevant to your strength as a candidate. One of our most recent pupils (and now a tenant) was only a few months short of it being five years call if I remember rightly.

I know it must be frustrating to be told that effectively there’s nothing negative to say about you but still not be offered pupillage. However, it is in many ways a positive. If you’re getting final round interviews consistently it shows that you are, in effect, doing everything right to get to within striking distance of the finish line. Chances are you just need a bit of luck to push you over the line. It’s relatively unlikely that you’re doing something fundamentally wrong if you’re doing everything right to get final round interviews, not least because you’d have probably been told about it in feedback by now.
(Original post by Pupillagepls2019)
I am in a similar position so would also like to know.

I haven’t actually been unsuccessfully applying the last few years, I haven’t applied at all due to poor health (better now) also wondering whether to say that is the case under extenuating circumstances or not mention it until asked?
You have my answer to the first part above. The second is more difficult to give specific advice on without more detail, but I can see that you’ve sent me a PM with more detail. I’ll get round to replying to that at some point.
rsq1789
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Chambers may well question this - I know one person who was specifically asked in interview (after 4 years applying) "Why hasn't some other chambers taken you on yet?". However, the greater number of people I have come across who secured pupillage with 4-5 yrs call suggests that if you get this question it's more about testing your resilience and insight into your own strengths/weaknesses. So think of a good answer, work it into your narrative as appropriate, and you should be fine. Hope that helps.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by rsq1789; 2 months ago
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rsq1789)
Chambers may well question this - I know one person who was specifically asked in interview (after 4 years applying) "Why hasn't some other chambers taken you on yet?". However, the greater number of people I have come across who secured pupillage with 4-5 yrs call suggests that if you get this question it's more about testing your resilience and insight into your own strengths/weaknesses. So think of a good answer, work it into your narrative as appropriate, and you should be fine. Hope that helps.
This is correct, and it is right to say that you may be asked about it. In many ways I don't think it's a fair question, because unless there is some unusual reason (such as a person not applying at all), then a candidate is just unlikely to know why they haven't secured pupillage up to that point. I get the testing resilience and recognising your own strengths and weaknesses angle, but to my mind there are better ways of doing both of those things. But the reality is that it is one of many things that you may be asked about, and I agree that it is wise to at least have a general idea of how you would respond to that question.
Leagle Beagle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rooboo)
I don’t remember it saying when but I’ve not heard back yet if that helps 😊
Hi there - I have applied and also not heard back from them yet. The Zenith Recruitment portal says we should hear by 18 January 2019. I am hoping they let us know within the next week or so, the waiting is horrible!

Hope this helps.
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)

Thank you for this reply, it helps a lot. I'm going to keep at it, I really thought about it and I just cannot bring myself to stop applying despite how much more frustrating applying has become over the years. I'm getting everything ready in case I need to apply for a waiver from the 5 year period.
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rsq1789)
Thank you for the advice, and that is the general approach I have taken with questions that would throw people off. I pretend they have been asked to intentionally cause candidates to fluster, and try to keep a straight face and provide a well paced answer.

Thanks for the advice, I have an answer ready in mind now
law001x0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone heard from Landmark Chambers regarding mini-pupillages? I was told that I would receive an answer by early January at the latest, so accepting that it might not be good news.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LeonardCohen
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by law001x0)
Has anyone heard from Landmark Chambers regarding mini-pupillages? I was told that I would receive an answer by early January at the latest, so accepting that it might not be good news.
I was told December or early Jan at the latest, but I have not heard back from them either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads