The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2019 Watch

wanabebarrister
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Did anyone get a confirmation of receipt of application from 9 Bedford Row? Thanks!
The bar111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone heard back from 9 Stone Buildings?
jakwjgniwnf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by law001x0)
Has anyone heard from Landmark Chambers regarding mini-pupillages? I was told that I would receive an answer by early January at the latest, so accepting that it might not be good news.
I am also waiting! I applied in July, but was being considered for the Feb-March intake. Weird. Let me know if they get back to you.
Rump0le
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by wanabebarrister)
Did anyone get a confirmation of receipt of application from 9 Bedford Row? Thanks!
No!
wanabebarrister
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rump0le)
No!
Thanks for confirming.
VRS77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Applying for pupillages for the first time this year. I'm doing the BPTC part-time whilst working full-time. Slight glitch is I don't have a single mini-pupillage in the UK but I have one experience of Marshalling. Is it worth applying or am I likely to get rejected everywhere?
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by VRS77)
Applying for pupillages for the first time this year. I'm doing the BPTC part-time whilst working full-time. Slight glitch is I don't have a single mini-pupillage in the UK but I have one experience of Marshalling. Is it worth applying or am I likely to get rejected everywhere?
No harm in applying, plus if you get a single interview it's worth it. The more you apply the more you develop your application writing skills so starting early is good. You can also ask for feedback on any rejections.
Last edited by TempestLaw; 2 months ago
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
College Chambers first round interviews are out.

For those kind souls in practice who regularly assist us, could you provide your view on something.

I'm the person above who has had second round interviews for years but have not acquired pupillage. I'm in a good job (academically focused) and progressing well in it, but I wanted to ask what a chambers might think if I started a PhD. I make sure to gain whatever experience I can to aid in pupillage but I do not want to keep my life on hold for years by not pursuing other experience. I found my mental well being to be a lot better when I stopped making my life all about getting pupillage, and made it a part of my life as a form of personal development instead. Coincidentally ever since I have done so I have had more second rounds. I'm worried starting a PhD gives off the wrong impression.

I always hoped to start a PhD in Law even if I qualified as a barrister. It will focus on legal aid cuts and it's affect on special measures in court. I just don't want it to look like I'm not committed to getting pupillage
MissT_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What's the best why to answer 'Give Reasons For Your Choice of Chambers'? would appreciate any advice I can get
law001x0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MissT_)
What's the best why to answer 'Give Reasons For Your Choice of Chambers'? would appreciate any advice I can get
I find what works best is to focus on one or two practice areas within Chambers, and to explain why you're interested in them. This could relate to any experience you have in those fields, or why you enjoyed a particular module at University.

That is, of course, a minimum. If you have done a mini-pupillage at the set, or met a barrister from there, then this gives you the opportunity to talk about that Chambers, its ethos and any other thing you found appealing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by law001x0; 2 months ago
Murphy39
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone heard back from Radcliffe chambers?
ldawson181
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Murphy39)
Has anyone heard back from Radcliffe chambers?
I've not heard anything back yet either, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing !
Murphy39
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ldawson181)
I've not heard anything back yet either, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing !
Interviews in the week commencing 21st eg. next week so I am hoping to hear before Friday so the weekend could be used for preparation (if lucky enough to be invited)
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MissT_)
As with everything else, there is no 'best answer' to this. But this is not a question that will make or break your application. There will be a few reasons why you picked the set, so just tell us what those are. You might have something specific, such as having done a mini pupillage there or spent time with a particular barrister there. Even if it's more generic and is just "I want to practise in criminal law in Birmingham, and you do criminal law in Birmingham" (obviously with slightly more sophisticated wording), that's fine. A quick look at the website googling recent cases involving that set or certain practitioners will give you the information that you need to add a little bit of substance to your answer.
LittleMissRed
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All, I’m starting my applications today. I will be applying for criminal sets for a 2020 start (let me know if this is the wrong thread). Hoping for Northwest or London. Doing my BPTC in September. Currently a Fee Earner with my own caseload although not criminal so have no idea if my experience will count.

Good Luck everyone.
ves3925
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Zenith 1st rounds are out!
Lady_Godiva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ves3925)
I take it that's a congratulations! could you tell me was the email personalised?
ldawson181
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ves3925)
Is this for common law, family or crime pupillage ?
ves3925
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lady_Godiva)
I take it that's a congratulations! could you tell me was the email personalised?
Thankyou! It was not, just a standard format that states the date they take place and how to arrange a time. If you're still waiting I know that last year there were delays between telling different people so it's not bad news yet!
(Original post by ldawson181)
Is this for common law, family or crime pupillage ?
Crime pupillage, I didn't apply for the others
lulu_dudette
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone.
I was successful last year in my quest and I'm currently in my first six at a chambers in London doing a mix of family and crime.
It took me 6 (very long) years to get pupillage so I know what the process is like and how tough it can be.

If I can help please let me know. And massive good luck to you all. Remember it only takes one to say yes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads