The Student Room Group

How is the BSc Architecture course? (any current students please help)

So, I'm currently in my first semester of a BA Business Economics course at Sheffield Hallam University but I'm massively regretting it since it involves pretty high level Maths. Therefore, I'm contemplating dropping out and giving a different choice of course a shot - Architecture being one of my interests.

First of all, what is the course like, is there essential things/knowledge that need to be known before entering the BSc course? I have no experience in Architecture, it's just am option for me since I really do enjoy sketching and designing.

Secondly, the 100% for the modules is really appealing to me since I HATE exams, I like to put work into something that I know I'll get some form of grade out of it. Do you like this feature to the course / what do you typically do in the assignments?

Also, one of my friends is currently studying Architecture and he says that it will take him 6-7 years to do what he wants to do. What would this be doing exactly? I believe he wants to be an Architect that designs houses and estates, but I can't see what he has to put that amount years since the BSc is 3 years and the MSc is 1 year /18 months. If someone could clear this up and basically give me the breakdown on the necessary steps someone needs to take to become an Architect.

Simply, what should I expect from the course? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what the course is like since I definitely rushed into my Business Economics course and ended up disliking it.

Replies and comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Savaged
So, I'm currently in my first semester of a BA Business Economics course at Sheffield Hallam University but I'm massively regretting it since it involves pretty high level Maths. Therefore, I'm contemplating dropping out and giving a different choice of course a shot - Architecture being one of my interests.

First of all, what is the course like, is there essential things/knowledge that need to be known before entering the BSc course? I have no experience in Architecture, it's just am option for me since I really do enjoy sketching and designing.

Secondly, the 100% for the modules is really appealing to me since I HATE exams, I like to put work into something that I know I'll get some form of grade out of it. Do you like this feature to the course / what do you typically do in the assignments?

Also, one of my friends is currently studying Architecture and he says that it will take him 6-7 years to do what he wants to do. What would this be doing exactly? I believe he wants to be an Architect that designs houses and estates, but I can't see what he has to put that amount years since the BSc is 3 years and the MSc is 1 year /18 months. If someone could clear this up and basically give me the breakdown on the necessary steps someone needs to take to become an Architect.

Simply, what should I expect from the course? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what the course is like since I definitely rushed into my Business Economics course and ended up disliking it.

Replies and comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :biggrin:

Base on my experience, in my honest opinion:

1) Merely enjoying sketching / designing is not really a substantial reason to apply for Architecture. You have to really love Architecture (Buildings, Landscapes, Interior and even Furnitures). Do not dive into Architecture just because you are desperately seeking a way out of your current course... Take a gap year (or more) if it is necessary.

2) Arts / Design background is quite essential before embarking on the Degree for most Universities. GCSE level of Math/Physics is more than enought for most Architecture Schools in England. I believe you do not need to have any level beyond that unless you are heading towards a more technical-based uni for Architecture (google it).

3) Depending on which Uni, usually for majority of the Architecture Schools - "written-exams" stands only a portion on how the students are graded. Most of the time students are graded through Courseworks (Projects). Courseworks for Architecture is really unique and you should google / youtube more on that. Courseworks are more or less the same no matter which country you go to. It's either you love it or absolutely hate it.

4) Yes, it is 7-years minimum to be a Registered Architect. Could be longer, but never shorter I believe. Usual flow: 3 Years Bachelor's (Part 1) > 1 Year work experience > 2 Years Master's (Part 2) > 1 year work experience > Professional Exam (Part 3) > Registration with RIBA/ARB.

5) Google on different Uni and their modules. Some school does only 100% coursework, some mix. At the end of the day, as long as the Uni's course is recognised by RIBA/ARB, you are safe.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by cyw1994
Base on my experience, in my honest opinion:

1) Merely enjoying sketching / designing is not really a substantial reason to apply for Architecture. You have to really love Architecture (Buildings, Landscapes, Interior and even Furnitures). Do not dive into Architecture just because you are desperately seeking a way out of your current course... Take a gap year (or more) if it is necessary.

2) Arts / Design background is quite essential before embarking on the Degree for most Universities. GCSE level of Math/Physics is more than enought for most Architecture Schools in England. I believe you do not need to have any level beyond that unless you are heading towards a more technical-based uni for Architecture (google it).

3) Depending on which Uni, usually for majority of the Architecture Schools - "written-exams" stands only a portion on how the students are graded. Most of the time students are graded through Courseworks (Projects). Courseworks for Architecture is really unique and you should google / youtube more on that. Courseworks are more or less the same no matter which country you go to. It's either you love it or absolutely hate it.

4) Yes, it is 7-years minimum to be a Registered Architect. Could be longer, but never shorter I believe. Usual flow: 3 Years Bachelor's (Part 1) > 1 Year work experience > 2 Years Master's (Part 2) > 1 year work experience > Professional Exam (Part 3) > Registration with RIBA/ARB.

5) Google on different Uni and their modules. Some school does only 100% coursework, some mix. At the end of the day, as long as the Uni's course is recognised by RIBA/ARB, you are safe.

Good luck!

Appreciate the reply, thanks a lot. Yea I understand that enjoying sketching / designing might not mean I would like Architecture, but it definitely has some correlation, at least it’s enough for me to look into Architecture as a degree choice.

I definitely don’t intend on switching degrees this year (pretty sure it’s not possible at this point) so I was going to take some time out to research a range of different degree choices and see what I actually find interesting and not rushing into things.

Regarding the arts / design background, I don’t really have anything on that. I have a BTEC Extended Diploma with a D*D*D* and that seemed enough to get me onto my current course Business Economics, so I shouldn’t see too much of an issue getting into an Architecture course at the same University (Sheff Hallam) unless the course is very high demand and they only accept limited people?

Again, I’ll definitely have to look into Architecture further since 7+ years is a lot of time to commit to something so definitely needs some thinking.

Thanks again for your input :biggrin:
Original post by Savaged
Appreciate the reply, thanks a lot. Yea I understand that enjoying sketching / designing might not mean I would like Architecture, but it definitely has some correlation, at least it’s enough for me to look into Architecture as a degree choice.

I definitely don’t intend on switching degrees this year (pretty sure it’s not possible at this point) so I was going to take some time out to research a range of different degree choices and see what I actually find interesting and not rushing into things.

Regarding the arts / design background, I don’t really have anything on that. I have a BTEC Extended Diploma with a D*D*D* and that seemed enough to get me onto my current course Business Economics, so I shouldn’t see too much of an issue getting into an Architecture course at the same University (Sheff Hallam) unless the course is very high demand and they only accept limited people?

Again, I’ll definitely have to look into Architecture further since 7+ years is a lot of time to commit to something so definitely needs some thinking.

Thanks again for your input :biggrin:

Hey @Savaged

Yeah definitely take some time to think about it and what options you have available. Is this the course you're looking at switching to at the moment? BSc Architecture

Thanks
Bridget
Reply 4
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey @Savaged

Yeah definitely take some time to think about it and what options you have available. Is this the course you're looking at switching to at the moment? BSc Architecture

Thanks
Bridget

Yea that would be the course that I’m looking at. I’m 100% that I want to drop out of my current course BA Business Economics as it simply isn’t for me. What would be the process for doing this, and also will I only be charged for this Semester’s Tuition + Maintenance fee’s compared to the amount for the full year?
Reply 5
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey @Savaged

Thanks
Bridget

Yea that would be the course that I’m looking at. I’m 100% that I want to drop out of my current course BA Business Economics as it simply isn’t for me. What would be the process for doing this, and also will I only be charged for this Semester’s Tuition + Maintenance fee’s compared to the amount for the full year?

Also, I’m guessing that it would be too late to change my course for this year and would have to apply for 2019/2020 entry?
Original post by Savaged

Also, I’m guessing that it would be too late to change my course for this year and would have to apply for 2019/2020 entry?

Hey @Savaged

I've just spoken to admissions and unfortunately because of the time of year you won't be able to switch now, you will need to apply for 2019/20 entry for BSc Architecture.

I recommend speaking to the course leader for Architecture and discuss your circumstances with them.

I will send you a PM with details.

Thanks
Bridget

Quick Reply