The Student Room Group

Official 2019 Cambridge Interview Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xiaochen
Yeah I never used it very much. Even with a smartphone/computer and capability of storing everything on there - I prefer to handwrite timetables and keep a diary and make flashcards on actual card, not the computer lol

We have different ways of learning and working.
Original post by Wired_1800
We have different ways of learning and working.

Ikr, at one point my high school transitioned to using "show my homework" idk if anyone else has used it but it was so annoying because even if you did your homework, it doesn't count as handed in unless you submit it online, and a lot of resources they would put on there for us to complete on the computer or print off, but it was super inconvienient for me since at the time i had restricted access to a computer and didn't have a printer...
Original post by Arina555
I’ve got an offer for Biological nat sci with A* in Further Maths, A* in chemistry and A in biology. Is there anyone else who has been asked for an A* in Further Maths as well?

my offer for bio natsci is A*A*A in bio chem maths and A in FM. A* in fm for you is pretty harsh :frown:
Original post by xiaochen
Ikr, at one point my high school transitioned to using "show my homework" idk if anyone else has used it but it was so annoying because even if you did your homework, it doesn't count as handed in unless you submit it online, and a lot of resources they would put on there for us to complete on the computer or print off, but it was super inconvienient for me since at the time i had restricted access to a computer and didn't have a printer...

I understand. I think some school rules and requirements are there to influence behaviour rather than produce a specific outcome. It is the reason why some schools are big on discipline and regimented schedules, to influence behaviour.
Original post by 04MR17
MR's top 3 tips for a successful interview:

- Act comfortable not confident. Trying to appear confident risks looking cocky. Behave as though you are enjoying being in the Cambridge environment and that the idea of a supervision is something you would like and be suited to. So relax and feel as though you fit naturally into that academic environment.

- THINK ALOUD. This is the big one. Listen to the question, think about the answer, communicate these thoughts to the interviewer. Don't feel that you have to deliver a succinct answer quickly: this is a discussion, not a quiz. The interviewers wish to see your thought pattern, they wish to see the logic you are following in order to reach your point of conclusion (i.e. your definitive answer). Don't rush that. Don't be afraid of silence either, but if you are thinking seriously about the question then do it out loud.

- Stop and evaluate yourself as you go. Don't feel like you need to stick rigidly to everything you've said. I found myself partly disagreeing with my first sentence in my response after I'd thought about (aloud) it for a couple of minutes. Don't be afraid to stop and say "well actually, when I first said that... it might actually be ..." This doesn't show indecision, it shows you're open to other ideas and it means you're making your answer stronger. The interviewers will try to throw problems at the answers you give anyway, so anticipate what those might be as you're delivering your response and answer them before they're asked.

Anyone is welcome to disagree and contradict this advice, but these 3 principles got me an offer.

This is spot on. For all University's not just Cambridge.. this reasoning is what most are after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending