The Student Room Group

Maths, Further Maths and Computing for Comp Sci degree

Hi, I’m in yr 12 and looking to do Computer Science at uni. I’ve heard that Physics is useful to have, but not as useful as fm, so I’m a bit concerned as to whether it will be harder for me to get into the top unis.e.g Cambridge, imperial etc, without Physics a Level.
(I’m also planning on doing a comp sci related EPQ)
Reply 1
Original post by polabear1302
Hi, I’m in yr 12 and looking to do Computer Science at uni. I’ve heard that Physics is useful to have, but not as useful as fm, so I’m a bit concerned as to whether it will be harder for me to get into the top unis.e.g Cambridge, imperial etc, without Physics a Level.
(I’m also planning on doing a comp sci related EPQ)

Further Maths is more useful than Physics. However, Physics is extremely useful as well. Why not just do Physics as well? 4 isn't too much to handle.
Original post by Shiv7
Further Maths is more useful than Physics. However, Physics is extremely useful as well. Why not just do Physics as well? 4 isn't too much to handle.

I can’t as I’ve already started with just 3 (Maths, FM and Comp Sci) and it would be too late to pick it up. Do you think I’ll stuggle getting into the top unis then?
Reply 3
Original post by polabear1302
I can’t as I’ve al ready started the year and into would be too late to pick it up. Do you think I’ll stuggle getting into the top unis then?

I wouldn't say you'd struggle. Apart from Cambridge, I expect you'll be fine. But honestly, it's not too late to pick it up now.
Reply 4
Original post by Shiv7
I wouldn't say you'd struggle. Apart from Cambridge, I expect you'll be fine. But honestly, it's not too late to pick it up now.

So do you think that not doing Physics means you wouldn't have much of a chance applying to Cambridge? I do the same as OP (maths, fm, computer science) + english language (I know, it's weird) A-Level and I've been concerned that I messed up by not doing Physics, but I already picked up fm a half term later than everyone else and the amount of effort it took me to catch up (did it in one half-term week of constant working) makes me scared of trying to make any changes again
Reply 5
Original post by jtkai
So do you think that not doing Physics means you wouldn't have much of a chance applying to Cambridge? I do the same as OP (maths, fm, computer science) + english language (I know, it's weird) A-Level and I've been concerned that I messed up by not doing Physics, but I already picked up fm a half term later than everyone else and the amount of effort it took me to catch up (did it in one half-term week of constant working) makes me scared of trying to make any changes again

I'm not an expert on this. They do take in people without Physics at A-Level. All I'm saying is it essentially makes your application slightly less competitive compared to many of those who have Physics. I do know for a fact that some colleges actually state they need two sciences/maths + Physics. I understand what you're saying about the Further Maths, but it's designed to not be too taxing. I know many people including myself who have done the whole thing in one year alongside A2 Maths.
Hi im also in year 12 and wanting to do comp sci at a top uni and im taking: Maths, Further maths, physics and computing. I'd say you're probably fine without physics, just focus on getting the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest