The Student Room Group

Can you apply to a BSc and an MSci at the same university?

Title
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
You can, but are they for the same subject/similar courses in the same department? I think most departments will allow you to swap from a MSci to a BSc after you get in during your first year or even after, depending on the uni (you can swap from BSc to MSci too, but apparently that’s harder) or switch between courses within the same department if you’re unsure currently. I’d advise you not to waste your choices by putting very similar courses at the same uni and put another uni instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LYLN
Are they for the same subject/similar courses in the same department?

Thanks for the reply, they are for the same subject. In my case this is computer science BSc and computer science MSci
Original post by john_ross1
Thanks for the reply, they are for the same subject. In my case this is computer science BSc and computer science MSci

not worth it as you can usually move from one to the other at the end of the first year dependent on results

It's highly unlikely there would be any point doing this, applications will be treated the same way for both and usually you can switch between the two fairly easily when you're there.

It's just a waste of an option.
Reply 5

Oops sorry that I was editing my post when you replied haha. Check my updated reply:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jameswhughes
It's highly unlikely there would be any point doing this, applications will be treated the same way for both and usually you can switch between the two fairly easily when you're there.

It's just a waste of an option.

Thanks for the reply, I get what you mean however I have a slot free so wasnt sure if should put a uni i will never go to or if i should put that as I may actually take that course
Usually yes, you can apply to both versions but there is almost never a point in doing so. Many universities will consider applicants for both programmes from a shared pool, and if an applicant has applied for one they might offer the other (either if they're a strong applicant for the BSc or a weak one for the MSci). Beyond that, it's normally pretty easy to switch between the two (contingent on exam performance) in the first 2 years anyway.
Thanks for the reply, I get what you mean however I have a slot free so wasnt sure if should put a uni i will never go to or if i should put that as I may actually take that course

Even then there's no point putting your name down twice, it will be the same application reviewed by the same people.

Are you sure you don't want to apply to a fifth university? I suppose you could leave it blank if you're sure you don't need it.
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
Even then there's no point putting your name down twice, it will be the same application reviewed by the same people.

Are you sure you don't want to apply to a fifth university? I suppose you could leave it blank if you're sure you don't need it.

I will just put down one then, thanks for the help, I didnt realize it was all through the same pool
Reply 10
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest