The Student Room Group

Nearly 18 but they won't sell me an energy drink

Was in lidl today, just wanted a tiny 250ml of red bull. I used to buy them all the time when I was 14-15. Now I'm nearly 18 (it's my bday in exactly 1 month) and that exact same shop won't sell me them because I don't look 16. I even showed them my college lanyard and still nope. I even told her college is POST 16 EDUCATION, still nope. Must I look really young then or am I right in thinking this is really stupid. It was 1 ****ing can ffs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Btw I don't have proper ID because my family never goes on holiday and my mum won't buy me a passport just so I can buy energy drinks lmfao
Reply 2
You didn't show proper ID. What do you expect? Some colleges also do education for 14-16 who aren't in mainstream education.
Bro they are just complying with new regulations go to a small corner shop and they don't care, or get a friend to buy them for you.
Reply 4
Original post by katf
You didn't show proper ID. What do you expect? Some colleges also do education for 14-16 who aren't in mainstream education.

I don't necessarily look like a 15 year old so what did you think I expected
Reply 5
Original post by Shanguus
Bro they are just complying with new regulations go to a small corner shop and they don't care, or get a friend to buy them for you.

Why should I have to sneak around just to buy a fizzy drink ffs, if I'm old enough to take out a 50k loan for uni I don't think I should have to do that
Original post by Anonymous
Was in lidl today, just wanted a tiny 250ml of red bull. I used to buy them all the time when I was 14-15. Now I'm nearly 18 (it's my bday in exactly 1 month) and that exact same shop won't sell me them because I don't look 16. I even showed them my college lanyard and still nope. I even told her college is POST 16 EDUCATION, still nope. Must I look really young then or am I right in thinking this is really stupid. It was 1 ****ing can ffs.

Probably worth applying for your driving licence. It’s useful to have for ID anyway and you will probably want something once you are 18 any way
Reply 7
I don't necessarily look like a 15 year old so what did you think I expected

it all falls under challenge 25. if you look under 25 and the product has an age restriction you have to check an approved form of ID. Get ID or get over it and don't drink rubbish :yy:
Why should I have to sneak around just to buy a fizzy drink ffs, if I'm old enough to take out a 50k loan for uni I don't think I should have to do that

I agree with you, you shouldn't have too. Maybe apply for a provisional drivers license and use that as an ID.
When your 18 if you wanna go out clubbing you will need an ID anyway so might aswell get one now

You're wrong. They were covering their backs. If you were underage and they were caught selling you or they would have a hefty fine.

You're almost an adult. Get your own ID - provisional licence will do just fine.
Original post by 8472
it all falls under challenge 25. if you look under 25 and the product has an age restriction you have to check an approved form of ID. Get ID or get over it and don't drink rubbish :yy:

No one in their right mind would pay ~£100 or however much a passport is, + ~£30 for a provisional driving license, just so they can buy energy drinks. I need them because I have sleeping problems and I'm trying to live with that while getting an education. I understand why the law is in place but they shouldn't be so strict around caffine, it's A Level and uni students that are gonna be overdosing anyways, not children
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're wrong. They were covering their backs. If you were underage and they were caught selling you or they would have a hefty fine.

You're almost an adult. Get your own ID - provisional licence will do just fine.

No one in their right mind would pay ~£100 or however much a passport is, + ~£30 for a provisional driving license, just so they can buy energy drinks.
No one in their right mind would pay ~£100 or however much a passport is, + ~£30 for a provisional driving license, just so they can buy energy drinks. I need them because I have sleeping problems and I'm trying to live with that while getting an education. I understand why the law is in place but they shouldn't be so strict around caffine, it's A Level and uni students that are gonna be overdosing anyways, not children

A level students are your age, your argument rather falls down there
Original post by DrawTheLine

true :u:
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Probably worth applying for your driving licence. It’s useful to have for ID anyway and you will probably want something once you are 18 any way

Too expensive
Reply 15

Dude, I can't even buy a scratchcard without my id. And I'm 25. It's probably your baby face.
No one in their right mind would pay ~£100 or however much a passport is, + ~£30 for a provisional driving license, just so they can buy energy drinks.

Welp guess you'll have to live without vile energy drinks! Also they're strict around caffeine and sugar because it can be damaging to developing minds like yours.
trading standards set up traps for shopkeepers... you could of been a trap.
As said challenge 25 and they changed their policies recently.
Instead of moaning just go to a different shop and stock up.
Original post by Shanguus
I agree with you, you shouldn't have too. Maybe apply for a provisional drivers license and use that as an ID.
When your 18 if you wanna go out clubbing you will need an ID anyway so might aswell get one now

Finally someone agrees with me. I can't because I don't have a passport and they're too expensive just so I can buy a drink. I'm not the type to go clubbing or buy alcohol or anything when I'm 18 so not worth the money, I just wanted a fizzy drink ffs 😂😂😂

Latest