The Student Room Group

Is halls better than home?

Im currently going from home to uni but I'm not really enjoying it. The uni is tiny and I've not made any friends, the course is fine but it's quite isolating and I'm unmotivated. There are hardly any societies to join and the ones I have joined haven't done anything so far.

Is halls much better than going from home? I'm considering leaving and reapplying for next year to move out and to a different uni, but I'm quite introverted and I don't drink so I'm not sure if this would be much better. Moving into a flat with my boyfriend who is already at uni is also an option if halls will be too wild for me, however his uni is quite far away. Let me know how you find halls, especially being quite introverted or not drinking, Thanks!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mx199
Im currently going from home to uni but I'm not really enjoying it. The uni is tiny and I've not made any friends, the course is fine but it's quite isolating and I'm unmotivated. There are hardly any societies to join and the ones I have joined haven't done anything so far.

Is halls much better than going from home? I'm considering leaving and reapplying for next year to move out and to a different uni, but I'm quite introverted and I don't drink so I'm not sure if this would be much better. Moving into a flat with my boyfriend who is already at uni is also an option if halls will be too wild for me, however his uni is quite far away. Let me know how you find halls, especially being quite introverted or not drinking, Thanks!!

I'm introverted and don't really care for drinking and I lived in halls for first year. It was fine. I wore earplugs at night so people partying didn't wake me up. People learn that you will decline their invites to go out with them. People will tend to respect that it isn't your thing. They may think you're weird or a bit odd but don't worry yourself about that.
Original post by Mx199

Hi @Mx199,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not really enjoying your time at university so far. It might be a good idea to go and meet with your university's Students' Union. They are normally run by many current students and graduates so it can be a good way to make friends. They might be able to tell you about which societies are the most popular too. Another thing you could do, is join a sports team. That is one of the most common ways that people meet people at university - and it will also keep you fit!

In regards to where you are living, that is a very personal decision only you can make. What I would say though, is do what you feel most comfortable doing. It would be a mistake to make a decision based on what you think is expected of you. Your happiness should come first!

If you do decide to leave the current university you attend, I would recommend speaking to the student advice team at your university so that they can advise you on your next steps. Also, get in contact with the university you would like to transfer to (if you know which one).

I'm here if you have any other questions :smile:

Hannah

Quick Reply

Latest