The deal - a swimming pool - the final crunch has arrived! Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
"Now we come at last to the great battle of our times".
-- Gandalf, Lord of the Rings.

So we've arrived at the crunch point of crunch points. Theresa May allegedly has a deal and shortly we get to hear what it is.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

The time has arrived for self-interested hedge fund owner Rees-Mogg to throw his toys out of the pram, for the DUP to denounce it (they seem to denounce pretty much everything) and for slippery Boris, who previously supported staying in the Single Market, to claim it will all be a disaster.

Apparently the solution to the Northern Ireland Problem is a swimming pool, or so Robert Peston tells us. (Deeper at the Irish end, shallower at the English.)

Assuming Theresa doesn't go down immediately, it will come to a rowdy Parliament and then we will see what Corbyn really, really thinks - or maybe not. :rolleyes:

Let the chaos commence. :eek4:
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They need to commission a new Brexit-based series of The Thick of It. At least we could then have a laugh at this mess rather than cry.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Axiomasher)
They need to commission a new Brexit-based series of The Thick of It. At least we could then have a laugh at this mess rather than cry.
Lol, yes, I wonder which part Peter Capaldi would play?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Oh my. The cabinet has agreed to back the proposed deal. Now to Parliament, where goodness knows what will happen.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Lol, yes, I wonder which part Peter Capaldi would play?
He'd be the one telling Corbyn to sit on the floor of an empty train.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
They need to commission a new Brexit-based series of The Thick of It.
We agree on something 😮
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What the **** is happening? I don't even know anymore...
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by James.Carnell)
What the **** is happening? I don't even know anymore...
1/ The cabinet has nominally backed the agreement proposed by the May team and the Barnier team, whilst apparently (we are told) being deeply split. Only 11 of the 29 ministers attended and 1/3rd of them were opposed. Gove spoke in favour of accepting, according to Peston, which will further wind up poor old Boris.

2. The agreement has been published, all 585 pages of legalistic bumpf.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...greement_0.pdf

3. The deal includes an indefinite transition period, during which we keep paying. So in fact the government appear to be able to indefinitely postpone Brexit if they want to, which is probably what they need to, because all other options are terrible for the economy and the people.

4. Nobody seems happy, so perhaps it will get voted down tomorrow in Parliament by way of a confidence motion.

5. If it does, that could mean a snap general election just before Christmas, which seems unlikely, because it's hard to imagine that Tory MPs will really want to risk a Corbyn government. So it would appear that Mrs May will get her way.

6. Watch this space!
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
UKIP calling it a betrayal, so it must have something good about it. :lol:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Some good points on the Customs Union, which doesn't off itself prevent trade flows being interrupted by huge queues at the ports - that would require staying in the Single Market.
https://brexitcentral.com/uk-eu-cust...terrible-idea/
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Remain is much simpler- let's have a vote between the Deal or Remain.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1/ The cabinet has nominally backed the agreement proposed by the May team and the Barnier team, whilst apparently (we are told) being deeply split. Only 11 of the 29 ministers attended and 1/3rd of them were opposed.
fyi 11 is not a multiple of 3
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by DSutch)
Remain is much simpler- let's have a vote between the Deal or Remain.
Remain would be hugely better for the country, but it may be correct that a total leave without terms might be better than this deal, for several reasons - one being that there would be no further payments and another being that the EU would not be able to dictate terms without our representation.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
fyi 11 is not a multiple of 3
Lol, I assume they meant "roughly". Actually there are various stories spinning around now about who was opposed and in the end they don't stack up, given that she obtained cabinet approval.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol, I assume they meant "roughly". Actually there are various stories spinning around now about who was opposed and in the end they don't stack up, given that she obtained cabinet approval.
Laura Kuenssberg looked like she might wet herself with excitement. It's all such an irrelevance when it's patently not going to get through Parliament.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Alastair Campbell: "Interesting that she framed the choice as being her deal, no deal or no Brexit. She is getting the message."
https://mobile.twitter.com/campbellc...90438216781825
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Apparently a big government minister is going to resign tonight. Presumably Raab is going, although the description "big" seems a poor fit for such a wally.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Laura Kuenssberg looked like she might wet herself with excitement. It's all such an irrelevance when it's patently not going to get through Parliament.
Is the whole point just a grand charade to allow her to say she did everything she could and now there's really no option but to stay in? As given the alternative of a Corbyn government, the Tory turkeys won't vote for Christmas?
Mike John
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brexit means brexit
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is the whole point just a grand charade to allow her to say she did everything she could and now there's really no option but to stay in? As given the alternative of a Corbyn government, the Tory turkeys won't vote for Christmas?
Yep, spot on I think. I couldn't have worded this better myself. The last thing she wants is any suggestion that she's been as lazy and inept as David Davis. She's already told us of the 'many thousands of hours' - as if that makes a crap idea somehow worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.02%
Spring (37)
18.23%
Autumn/Fall (52)
25.62%
Winter (38)
18.72%
I love them all equally (11)
5.42%