The Student Room Group

Mental Health, 2:1 in my Masters, and want to do PhD - is my grade good enough?

Hi there,

I have just received my marks for my Masters, and I achieved a low 2:1 (63%). I am disappointed, and really want to do my PhD. I have a supervisor who is very interested and was the same supervisor who worked with me on my MA Dissertation. However, I'm feeling suddenly very anxious about doing it because my grade wasn't as good as I was expecting. I have various mental health issues too, including a diagnosis with Borderline Personality Disorder, which has really affected me during my Masters. I think I'm in a good position due to already having a willing supervisor, but I am disappointed in my grades and wondering if this will affect my ability to do the PhD.

Thank you for reading x
Original post by thesnowbones
Hi there,

I have just received my marks for my Masters, and I achieved a low 2:1 (63%). I am disappointed, and really want to do my PhD. I have a supervisor who is very interested and was the same supervisor who worked with me on my MA Dissertation. However, I'm feeling suddenly very anxious about doing it because my grade wasn't as good as I was expecting. I have various mental health issues too, including a diagnosis with Borderline Personality Disorder, which has really affected me during my Masters. I think I'm in a good position due to already having a willing supervisor, but I am disappointed in my grades and wondering if this will affect my ability to do the PhD.

Thank you for reading x

I won't get involved with the MH stuff because it's not my bag. I'll concentrate on the matter in hand.

I'm confused why you're saying you got a 2i for your 'Masters'. Masters aren't marked like that usually - is it integrated into your undergraduate degree or something? Anyway, 63 is, as you know, not a good mark. You'd usually be looking at a 67/68 minimum mark to progress to a Ph.D. Have you spoken to your potential supervisor about this? If he's on board, which it sounds like he is, this could prove decisive. You need to find out his view on any potential application.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I won't get involved with the MH stuff because it's not my bag. I'll concentrate on the matter in hand.

I'm confused why you're saying you got a 2i for your 'Masters'. Masters aren't marked like that usually - is it integrated into your undergraduate degree or something? Anyway, 63 is, as you know, not a good mark. You'd usually be looking at a 67/68 minimum mark to progress to a Ph.D. Have you spoken to your potential supervisor about this? If he's on board, which it sounds like he is, this could prove decisive. You need to find out his view on any potential application.

Mine is marked like that. It's marked similarly to an Undergraduate. I got a pass with merit. My supervisor actually marked most of my Masters, so she knows my marks and is still happy to proceed.
Original post by thesnowbones
Mine is marked like that. It's marked similarly to an Undergraduate. I got a pass with merit. My supervisor actually marked most of my Masters, so she knows my marks and is still happy to proceed.

OK. Have I misread your OP and you're not actually asking if the 63 is going to prevent you being offered a place for the Ph.D. because that's not your concern. Rather, you're asking if the low mark will have an impact on your effectiveness in studying your Ph.D?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending