The Student Room Group

what do unis mean regarding a "breakdown of your modules"?

i'm planning to transfer universities for second year, and they ask me to send them a breakdown of my modules. should i be requesting that, or should i be writing those up myself?

thanks so much!
Original post by anxiughty
i'm planning to transfer universities for second year, and they ask me to send them a breakdown of my modules. should i be requesting that, or should i be writing those up myself?

thanks so much!

Do you have a breakdown of each module? Given you’re transferring I assume they just need to know what modules you’ve done so far.

Edit: And likely your scoring In each module 👍🏻
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FloralHybrid
Do you have a breakdown of each module and how you’ve scored in them?

i'm not sure what you mean by "breakdown" and i havent gotten any scores back yet, but they do ask for the "breakdown" but i have no idea what that means. does this mean list the modules i am taking now and will be taking for next semester and a short description? or just this semester? i dont have my grades back yet tho as we only passed in our assignments a few days ago so i dont think it would be back soon
Reply 3

thanks so much!

You can usually see it online. Doesn't your university have some kind of portal to check your progress in each of your modules?

thanks so much!

You could ask the uni you're transferring to whether they require an official transcript, or whether they're happy for you to list them out yourself. However, usually, you need to request a transcript from your Registrary or Student Records office. This is an official list of all modules taken and marks awarded, broken down between examinations and coursework. Alternatively, you might have a digital transcript where you can supply the receiving university with a passcode which allows them to view your transcript online.
As above what modules you did and the % you scored for each of them. They are looking at how closely your course matches and how well you performed.
I suspect you will need to fill that in yourself for now. they may require a transcript later.
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
You can usually see it online. Doesn't your university have some kind of portal to check your progress in each of your modules?

we do have a portal for those, but im unsure how to export that and i dont think a screenshot would suffice?

Original post by Reality Check
You could ask the uni you're transferring to whether they require an official transcript, or whether they're happy for you to list them out yourself. However, usually, you need to request a transcript from your Registrary or Student Records office. This is an official list of all modules taken and marks awarded, broken down between examinations and coursework. Alternatively, you might have a digital transcript where you can supply the receiving university with a passcode which allows them to view your transcript online.

as we dont have any marks given back yet (and we only get one of them back on friday), i have no grades to show for now. i may take your advice and contact the student records office.

Original post by 999tigger
As above what modules you did and the % you scored for each of them. They are looking at how closely your course matches and how well you performed.
I suspect you will need to fill that in yourself for now. they may require a transcript later.

in terms of filling those myself, for the module breakdown, should i just list the current modules and a short description then? i dont have any grades back yet at this point.
Reply 7
in terms of filling those myself, for the module breakdown, should i just list the current modules and a short description then? i dont have any grades back yet at this point.

Yes.

And if you can get your course tutor to predict your grades then ask them for that too (and a reference) - although given this is so early in the year it's unlikely they will do so. Most people only start looking to transfer much later in the academic year when you have marks, etc to support your application.
Reply 8
Yes.

And if you can get your course tutor to predict your grades then ask them for that too (and a reference) - although given this is so early in the year it's unlikely they will do so. Most people only start looking to transfer much later in the academic year when you have marks, etc to support your application.

would you thus advise me to apply later in the year? is the deadline for transferring different from the UCAS deadline for submitting applications? would a reference from a teacher from my high school/college (im really confused with british school terms im an international student) be okay as well? i'm just scared as i told my tutor i could be interested for a placement year a few days ago (in the event i dont get accepted for any transfers) and to now tell him i'm planning on transferring would offend him.
Reply 9
would you thus advise me to apply later in the year? is the deadline for transferring different from the UCAS deadline for submitting applications? would a reference from a teacher from my high school/college (im really confused with british school terms im an international student) be okay as well? i'm just scared as i told my tutor i could be interested for a placement year a few days ago (in the event i dont get accepted for any transfers) and to now tell him i'm planning on transferring would offend him.

Speak to the university you are applying to and see what they say.

Your current tutor won't be offended. :nope:

Edit: and if it's a transfer then no UCAS deadlines don't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Speak to the university you are applying to and see what they say.

Your current tutor won't be offended. :nope:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah ive called up the university i'm interested in and they just told me a "breakdown of my modules." should i call back again and ask for a clarification?
Reply 11
yeah ive called up the university i'm interested in and they just told me a "breakdown of my modules." should i call back again and ask for a clarification?

See my edit. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
By 'breakdown' they just mean a detailed list I think, as much info as you are able to give them, module names, numbers, dates ect
Reply 13

im assuming that means you think i should wait for my grades to be available for first term? (sorry i sound really slow but im really lost but im really keen on transferring)
Reply 14
im assuming that means you think i should wait for my grades to be available for first term? (sorry i sound really slow but im really lost but im really keen on transferring)

Yep, or even later - the 15th Jan deadline doesn't apply for transfers.

Has your other university indicated they have places and would take you if you meet their requirements?
Reply 15
Yep, or even later - the 15th Jan deadline doesn't apply for transfers.

Has your other university indicated they have places and would take you if you meet their requirements?

yeah they said they have spaces and that i should send them an email about why i want to transfer and a breakdown of my modules + my IB grades tho i dont know how soon theyd want me to send it (im really keen to transferring to them tho)
Reply 16
yeah they said they have spaces and that i should send them an email about why i want to transfer and a breakdown of my modules + my IB grades tho i dont know how soon theyd want me to send it (im really keen to transferring to them tho)

Well send them what you have - at this stage they just want to check the content of your current first year study is suitable to allow a transfer to year 2.

Quick Reply

Latest