Do I quit teacher training? Watch

abi-s-w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm turning 24 next week and I'm two years out of university. My first year was spent in Sainsbury's, volunteering at an aquarium, and working as a Learning Mentor at a secondary school.

At the start of the summer, I had accepted a brilliant offer at the school - salaried ITT with my PGCE from September! I felt incredibly lucky, and was excited for September.

Since starting my course in September, I've felt nothing but anxious, I feel like I'm constantly drowning, and with two assignments due in the next two weeks (an essay and evidence for each of the Teaching Standards), I feel like I'm never going to get them done in addition to the four classes I have to assess, mark and log the data for. I'm currently teaching 18 periods a week (having been dropped from 19 as this was the only room for movement) with little observation of myself or of other teachers, and I have never felt so low in myself. My mum has even commented that my self-esteem seems non-existent at the moment, and has asked me to think about whether I want to keep up my training.

My department itself is lovely enough; the head of department can be cold at times and I could do with more guidance from my mentor.

Teaching was never a dream of mine - it was more something I fell into after graduation - and where I enjoyed the couple of classes I had been asked to each before the summer holidays, I cannot categorically state that there is a single class I thoroughly enjoy teaching.

If I decide to come out of my training, I would have to leave at Chrisrmas, but from there I wouldn't know what to do. I've always had an interest in editing and creative writing (my degree is in Literature and Creative Writing), but I fear at 24 years old I've wasted valuable time in gaining experience.

Any help or guidance on whether I should quit or not, and if I should where I can start looking for jobs, would be majorly appreciated!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wholly moley! 18 periods a week on your first training sesh? That is brutal. I did school direct and you were gently eased in teaching around 10 hours by Xmas which left plenty of time for planning and assignments. I am RQT now and on a full timetable and struggling with that but at least I have had three years getting used to it.

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't going to get any easier any time soon. I can tell you that by the sound of it, there are easier ways into teaching.
abi-s-w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Wholly moley! 18 periods a week on your first training sesh? That is brutal. I did school direct and you were gently eased in teaching around 10 hours by Xmas which left plenty of time for planning and assignments. I am RQT now and on a full timetable and struggling with that but at least I have had three years getting used to it.

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't going to get any easier any time soon. I can tell you that by the sound of it, there are easier ways into teaching.
On the training route I'm on, everybody else seems to be on that sort of timetable, which would definitely make everything much more manageable. I'm one of two trainees at the school; both of us are in different departments and routes, and his timetable seems much more in line with what I've been reading/hearing about and pushing for. Not quite sure what happened with mine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (29)
26.61%
No - I got the required grades (66)
60.55%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.84%

Watched Threads