The Student Room Group

Rejected by student finance after starting university

Hey Guys Need Help,
In 2016 (September) I applied for student finance (tuition and maintanence loan) for my course in Hertfordshire university which I was dropped from for bad attendance. They asked me to come back a second year I applied for student finance again (tuition and maintanence loan) before the start of the academic year of 2017 (September ) But I decided not to go and take a gap year as I felt like I still won’t be focused enough to study, I didn’t cancel the student finance I just thought it would automatically be eventually cancelled, but I did receive the first payment of maintanence loan and spent it ( I know Bad right) which I am currently paying back. Now 2018 I’m ready to study at Middlesex university I applied and got accepted then applied for student finance, now student finance approved of my application which was just the tuition fee not the maintanence loan , but when I try to see when the payments are going to be made to the university it’s says nothing, all I can see on my profile is that my application has been approved it’s got the green thing and says awaiting payments to be made. A few days ago middlesex university sends me a letter saying that I need to pay for the tuition fee, now I’m confused because I’ve been approved. I spoke to student finance and they told me that I will not be receiving funds this year . They can only provide funding for the last two years of the course now the thing is I’m already three months in university and they did say that my application is approved , now what do I do . I’ve tried to look for sponsers but most sponsers only Sponser you If Your Going To a specific university which is not Middlesex now I really want to do this course and now I have no student finance I’m going to get kicked off the course I need help and advice QUICKLY ANYONE ?
Original post by Missesf
Hey Guys Need Help,
In 2016 (September) I applied for student finance (tuition and maintanence loan) for my course in Hertfordshire university which I was dropped from for bad attendance. They asked me to come back a second year I applied for student finance again (tuition and maintanence loan) before the start of the academic year of 2017 (September ) But I decided not to go and take a gap year as I felt like I still won’t be focused enough to study, I didn’t cancel the student finance I just thought it would automatically be eventually cancelled, but I did receive the first payment of maintanence loan and spent it ( I know Bad right) which I am currently paying back. Now 2018 I’m ready to study at Middlesex university I applied and got accepted then applied for student finance, now student finance approved of my application which was just the tuition fee not the maintanence loan , but when I try to see when the payments are going to be made to the university it’s says nothing, all I can see on my profile is that my application has been approved it’s got the green thing and says awaiting payments to be made. A few days ago middlesex university sends me a letter saying that I need to pay for the tuition fee, now I’m confused because I’ve been approved. I spoke to student finance and they told me that I will not be receiving funds this year . They can only provide funding for the last two years of the course now the thing is I’m already three months in university and they did say that my application is approved , now what do I do . I’ve tried to look for sponsers but most sponsers only Sponser you If Your Going To a specific university which is not Middlesex now I really want to do this course and now I have no student finance I’m going to get kicked off the course I need help and advice QUICKLY ANYONE ?

Year 1- You were failed because of your own laziness.
Year 1 repeat You were lazy again by not sorting out student finance.
Year 1 repeat you were so incredibly stupid by taking and spending the maintenance money when in fact you werent a student.

Problem with this is SFE will fund you for the length of your degree +1 gift year.

In year 1 you wasted your gift year. Finance status degree + 0
In the repeat year even though that covers 3 x terms fee finance and 3x maintenance term finance you decided to spend 1 x terms maintenance even though you werent a student.. Even if youd spent £10 of that money any use of student finance counts as 1 years entitlement.
That means your finance status went from, to Degree -1 and that was the status when you started Middlesex.

To me I would know that means my first year fees would not be paid, although I would get maintenance. Fees would be paid from year 2 onwards, which is what they have said. See how much you messed yourself up by taking and spending that money,

The only chance imo is you make a compelling personal reason claim against year 1 or year 2 at hertfordshire if you had high depression or anxiety and can prove it caused you to fail or leave. Doctors notes are good. It seems to me though that the reason you failed is because you couldnt be bothered.
If you were successful in such a claim then they would return a years funding to you and your fees could be paid. From the way you described it, then doesnt sound likely.
Reply 2
Loool Wow I didn’t ask you to let me know how “stupid I was to do that I’m asking what to do now that’s all. If you want to release you’re anger punch a wall or go gym and figure it out. Since you inboxed me you Could Of said that in the inbox but thanks for the reply though 👌🏾
Reply 3
I’m having a similar problem. I dropped out in my second year and have returned this year to retake the second year. I have just got an email saying I won’t be getting student finance as the qualification I will get from the course is the same lever I have already got, which is untrue as I did not complete the second year. I don’t know what to do now
Reply 4
Original post by Aimmm
I’m having a similar problem. I dropped out in my second year and have returned this year to retake the second year. I have just got an email saying I won’t be getting student finance as the qualification I will get from the course is the same lever I have already got, which is untrue as I did not complete the second year. I don’t know what to do now

I think you should call them up and clarify to them that you’re repeating the full year because you dropped out halfway previously before ... have you let them know that yet ?
Reply 5
Original post by Missesf
I think you should call them up and clarify to them that you’re repeating the full year because you dropped out halfway previously before ... have you let them know that yet ?

I’m not 100% sure now I’m doubting myself whether I have applied wrong or selected the wrong year? I’m panicked now because I can not afford to pay it myself so my only option would be to drop out and I don’t want to do that. It would also mean I would lose a year of student finance so I wouldn’t be able to return after that. I’m going to ring them first thing in the morning as soon as they open I’m just praying there has been a mistake somewhere and it can be fixed
Reply 6
Original post by Aimmm
I’m not 100% sure now I’m doubting myself whether I have applied wrong or selected the wrong year? I’m panicked now because I can not afford to pay it myself so my only option would be to drop out and I don’t want to do that. It would also mean I would lose a year of student finance so I wouldn’t be able to return after that. I’m going to ring them first thing in the morning as soon as they open I’m just praying there has been a mistake somewhere and it can be fixed

Yeahh well before you do just make sure you ring them Incase it is a mistake. My brothers student finance application has been cancelled twice and it was because while he Was was refilling the application online it was putting it as he was reapplying for student finance in his previous uni for some reason and he was told to fill out a hard copy and send it off to them so that it is done manually. that might be the case for you because I heard there’s a lot of peoples applications being cancelled and rejected recently. but if you do the hard copy it’s still a long process as they can take their time so I suggest you let Your Uni know whats going on Aswell so they don’t think you’re just not going to pay you’re fees.
Reply 7
I’m really hoping it is just a case of a mistake made somewhere along the line! I’ve googled it for the past 2 hours and from what I’ve read it looks like I should be entitled to it still as you get 4 years of student finance and I have only had 2 and you can use the gift year if you fail or leave and have to retake. Thank you so much for your help
Reply 8
Original post by Aimmm
I’m really hoping it is just a case of a mistake made somewhere along the line! I’ve googled it for the past 2 hours and from what I’ve read it looks like I should be entitled to it still as you get 4 years of student finance and I have only had 2 and you can use the gift year if you fail or leave and have to retake. Thank you so much for your help

No Problem Good Luck
Reply 9
And to you too!
Reply 10
Original post by Aimmm
And to you too!

Reply 11
Original post by Missesf
Loool Wow I didn’t ask you to let me know how “stupid I was to do that I’m asking what to do now that’s all. If you want to release you’re anger punch a wall or go gym and figure it out. Since you inboxed me you Could Of said that in the inbox but thanks for the reply though 👌🏾

No point getting annoyed because someone has taken time to explain why you won’t be getting the money for your year 1.
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
No point getting annoyed because someone has taken time to explain why you won’t be getting the money for your year 1.

Thanks for the Not needed post
Reply 13
Original post by Missesf
Thanks for the Not needed post

You are welcome. And I don’t think pointing out your unnecessary rudeness to the reply you got was pointless, you might get more help if you are more polite.
Reply 14
Original post by Bio 7
You are welcome. And I don’t think pointing out your unnecessary rudeness to the reply you got was pointless, you might get more help if you are more polite.

I’m not being rude I didn’t ask for the opinion of what you think of me I asked for help for something and I got the answer. you guys telling me I’m stupid rude blah blah blah changes or does nothing but appreciate your time
Original post by Missesf
I’m not being rude I didn’t ask for the opinion of what you think of me I asked for help for something and I got the answer. you guys telling me I’m stupid rude blah blah blah changes or does nothing but appreciate your time

Its simple, the very first reply gave you advice at the bottom of their post. There really isnt anything you can do unless you can come to an arrangement with the University to pay it off over time (If Universities even do that). Assuming you either have or will get a job.
Reply 16
Original post by GamingAnonymous
Its simple, the very first reply gave you advice at the bottom of their post. There really isnt anything you can do unless you can come to an arrangement with the University to pay it off over time (If Universities even do that). Assuming you either have or will get a job.

Yeah I Know I’ve Spoken To My Uni Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest