yasminxsarah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I've been considering becoming a magistrate since last year now, I've just been waiting to hit 18, god I feel old.

I've read a few articles of people becoming magistrates at roughly around my age, but I was wondering if any of you have been, or are magistrates.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by yasminxsarah; 2 years ago
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
yasminxsarah
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Thank you, I'll post it in careers and jobs. Didn't actually see there was a forum for that.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What is it that attracts you to being a magistrate? Have you done any work experience or spent any time in a Magistrates Court?

I've never been a magistrate but appeared in the Magistrates Court quite a lot at the start of my career. It should go without saying that, even though you would obviously meet the mandatory requirement, at 18 you would be very young for a magistrate relatively speaking. It's obviously not a career, but could well be a good way to bolster your CV if you are aiming for a legal career generally. You just need to make sure that you know what it entails, both in terms of the job itself and what is expected of you in terms of hours. Clearly any expectation in terms of hours would need be something that fits around your commitments in terms of school/university.
yasminxsarah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
What is it that attracts you to being a magistrate? Have you done any work experience or spent any time in a Magistrates Court?

I've never been a magistrate but appeared in the Magistrates Court quite a lot at the start of my career. It should go without saying that, even though you would obviously meet the mandatory requirement, at 18 you would be very young for a magistrate relatively speaking. It's obviously not a career, but could well be a good way to bolster your CV if you are aiming for a legal career generally. You just need to make sure that you know what it entails, both in terms of the job itself and what is expected of you in terms of hours. Clearly any expectation in terms of hours would need be something that fits around your commitments in terms of school/university.
The main reason I wanted to become a magistrate from the start was because it's like the one way of entering the legal world, and it's without the need for qualifications. It would be nice to experience what a relatively significant person does within this low-level of the judiciary.
I've visited numerous magistrates and crown courts, seeing myself as one of the youngest magistrates in the country would feel like an amazing achievement, not even speaking in terms of CV boosting. But yeah it would boost it significantly.

I've studied lay people so I roughly have an idea of what it is. The second person did mention locality so I might have to wait till I'm in uni and I could be a magistrate in that area, seeing as my local magistrates aren't currently recruiting. The yearly requirements are next to nothing so the whole schedule thing wouldn't be an issue. Thank you for the comment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.32%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (100)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.07%

Watched Threads