Turn on thread page Beta

Here's how a second referendum will solve brexit watch

ReputationRep:
    After the independence vote the whole country (pretty much) accepted the result and we should leave properly (ie no transition period and no customs union). Then the elites who wanted to thwart leaving made Northern Ireland the "insolvable issue" so we couldn't leave properly.

So, our second referendum should be on Irish reunification for Northern Ireland.

Recent polling shows they would vote yes to avoid brexit. If that's true we can leave with a free trade deal, be truly independent and everyone's happy😁

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think even a second referendum to do with remain or leave full stop will do; if leave wins, they can finally tell remain to shut up and then they can get on with it; and if remain wins, well, it's pretty obvious why remain would want to win
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambiplasma)
    Honestly I think even a second referendum to do with remain or leave full stop will do; if leave wins, they can finally tell remain to shut up and then they can get on with it; and if remain wins, well, it's pretty obvious why remain would want to win
    We've already had that referendum, asking the same question again solves absolutely nothing and would only enrage brexiteers who rightly expect the outcome to be implemented.

ReputationRep:
    It would not be considered undemocratic and when you say it would solve absolutely nothing, that is incorrect: with the terms of the agreement laid out, people would actually be able to cast a vote on real, solid terms of agreement. Not all of the lies, misinformation and speculation spread around the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob072)
    We've already had that referendum, asking the same question again solves absolutely nothing and would only enrage brexiteers who rightly expect the outcome to be implemented.
    Tbf I'm on the fence overall (I dislike many of the laws that the EU makes but it is the home of many hubs of science/technology so it'd benefit the field I want to go into if we remained) and I know quite a few brexiteers who really just want the obstacle of the remainers' arguments out of the way and are basically sick of the topic still being debated in parliament, but idk the local opinion near you may be different - anyway if the leavers are so sure that they're implementing the people's choice they shouldn't feel enraged when a large number of the people want another vote

ReputationRep:
    If Remain wins the second referendum, when will we have a third referendum to make sure that is what the people really want for sure?

Might I suggest 2020 in tandem with what appears to be a 2-year referendum cycle on the same question? Or something sooner?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what the above was said.

ReputationRep:
    After the independence vote the whole country (pretty much) accepted the result and we should leave properly (ie no transition period and no customs union).
    No, they didn't.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be the same question. It would be on the negotiated terms.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, listening to the news and it sounds *****er by the minute.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly don't remember or have any sense of what 40 years of the Troubles was like do you? You are aware that in that time, 3000 people lost their lives? That is more than UK soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?

And you are going to solve that exceedingly deep rooted problem with a simple yes / no vote?

Fool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    You clearly don't remember or have any sense of what 40 years of the Troubles was like do you? You are aware that in that time, 3000 people lost their lives? That is more than UK soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?

And you are going to solve that exceedingly deep rooted problem with a simple yes / no vote?

Fool!
    Second round wouldn't go in the IRA's favour, they'd be unwise to restart that conflict.

ReputationRep:
    IMO we haven't solved the reasons why British Indians voted alongside the far-right for Brexit: Muslim immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
    Second round wouldn't go in the IRA's favour, they'd be unwise to restart that conflict.
    How so? I am sure there are some within the ranks who would swear black is white that the IRA campaign was successful. If there is one simple fact of issues surrounding Northern Ireland, it is that you can not boil it down into a simple yes / no question as we have found as the result of this referendum that has torn our country apart.

ReputationRep:
    How so? I am sure there are some within the ranks who would swear black is white that the IRA campaign was successful. If there is one simple fact of issues surrounding Northern Ireland, it is that you can not boil it down into a simple yes / no question as we have found as the result of this referendum that has torn our country apart.
    Arms controls and modern technology heavily favours the nation state nowadays, Ireland is also an island and the UK government has the benefit of hindsight of what didn't/did work last time.

ReputationRep:

Fool!
    Actually yes I do, all of my family is from either NI or Donegal and I've spent a lot of time there. The basis of the peace process was that a united Ireland would be achieved democratically not through force.

For the first time there's no Unionist majority in Stormont and polling shows support for unification if brexit goes ahead. To deny the opportunity of a referendum is what would far more likely restart violence and we could make a simple agreement with any Ulster Unionists that they can be British citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambiplasma)
    also the reason that if u voted in brexit u agreed to vote in a democratic refrendum and if we have another refrendum its just undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
    And how would giving Republicans the opportunity to have a united Ireland democratically make the IRA be any bigger. If they vote yes it would disband surely.

ReputationRep:
    True

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CG1399)
    also the reason that if u voted in brexit u agreed to vote in a democratic refrendum and if we have another refrendum its just undemocratic.
    I didn't vote, I'll be 18 in December, I didn't agree to anything to do with it

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.