If I say ‘physics degree’ or would physics be with capital letter?

Watch this thread
username3602254
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For personal statement for example
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
shooks can help with this
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jijimomani)
Use Physics for the actual name of the course, whereas the subject is physics. So if you do a degree called MSci Physics you will learn about the fundamental building blocks and forces of nature and how quantum physics and relativity help us understand the world around us...
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Lowercase, please. Always lowercase for subject names (physics, chemistry, economics etc), unless you're talking about languages (English, French. Maths etc).

On TSR, we cap up course titles though. GCSE Physics, A-level Economics etc.

Good luck with the application!
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
Lowercase, please. Always lowercase for subject names (physics, chemistry, economics etc), unless you're talking about languages (English, French. Maths etc).
Is Maths a language? :beard:
username3602254
Rep:

On TSR, we cap up course titles though. GCSE Physics, A-level Economics etc.

Good luck with the application!
Thanks but how about A-level English literature does that have to be English Literature or is lower case for literature fine ?
M4cc4n4
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oooh where you applying for Physics
A Cactus
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe.
-Galileo Galilei
username3602254
Rep:
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
Oooh where you applying for Physics
I’m not 😭 I just knew it would get more attention
M4cc4n4
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im not angry, just disappointed.
Good bloke
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
is lower case for literature fine ?
It is both fine and, what is more important, correct. As has been said, subject names are common nouns, unless they are languages. Literature is not a language, but English is; hence, English literature.
username3602254
Rep:
(Original post by Good bloke)
It is both fine and, what is more important, correct. As has been said, subject names are common nouns, unless they are languages. Literature is not a language, but English is; hence, English literature.
Perfect thanks
username3602254
Rep:
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
Im not angry, just disappointed.
I’m sorry
username3602254
Rep:
(Original post by Good bloke)
You seem really smart! Ok so what if I’m saying A-level psychology do you agree that it should be A-level Psychology in that case. Perfectionist tendencies
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
:lol:
shooks
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Oh dear lord, I've been staring at a screen for too long. Was thinking German, typed maths...gah.

I need a personal sub-editor...
username3602254
Rep:
Oh dear lord, I've been staring at a screen for too long. Was thinking German, typed maths...gah.

Ok so I’m also quoting a book but it’s a long ass title, can I just quote the first two words of what comes before the colon in the title? Should I quote in “...” or ‘...’
username3602254
Rep:

Not quoting out of the book just quoting the book title
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Puddles the Monkey !!!!
shooks
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not quoting out of the book just quoting the book title
No need to put quotation marks (of either kind) around book titles. I'd say when you're working with limited space - which you definitely are in a PS - it would be fine to abbreviate the title a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads