The Student Room Group

English- Macbeth: The Theme of Kingship

Hi, I have been taksed to find lot of quotes on Kingship however I can't find any! Anybody have any recommendations?
kingship - you could describe what kind of king duncan is referring to his constant nature imagery showing his gentle and fatherly-ness
"appeal unto our gentle senses"
"i have begun to plant thee"
"make thee full of growing"
"worthy cawdor"
"in drops of sorrow"- shows emotion and shows how he is gentle

you could also comment on how he is well respected yet a bad judge of character and not aware of events in his kingdom making him a bad king.
"a man on whom i built an absolut trust on" - yet this man betrayed him
"is execution done on cawdor?"- doesnt know whats going on.

You could also say how kingship is corrupted relating to macbeths rule and the divine rights of kings
"nature is dead" - god disaproves
"we will keep ourself to supper-time alone" - isolation unlike a king should be
"my lord" - wife calls him my lord he has given himself elevated status
"both of you know banquo was your enemy" - using power to corrupt minds into doing his bidding
"even till destruction sicken! answer me" macbeth to witches. this shows how he would give up the whole world even to destruction for his own greed and want - contradicts kingly values.

lastly threre is the idea of king vs king
"thou art to like the spirit of banquo! down! thy crown doth sear mine eye-balls - MAcbeth vs BAnquo
"england"... "kking" vs "macbeth" etc

Hopefully this was helpful - good luck with ur exams!!!! :smile: :wink: p.s. this is what i know from my revision.
Thank you! Life saver 😂
Original post by won.of.a.kind
kingship - you could describe what kind of king duncan is referring to his constant nature imagery showing his gentle and fatherly-ness
"appeal unto our gentle senses"
"i have begun to plant thee"
"make thee full of growing"
"worthy cawdor"
"in drops of sorrow"- shows emotion and shows how he is gentle

you could also comment on how he is well respected yet a bad judge of character and not aware of events in his kingdom making him a bad king.
"a man on whom i built an absolut trust on" - yet this man betrayed him
"is execution done on cawdor?"- doesnt know whats going on.

You could also say how kingship is corrupted relating to macbeths rule and the divine rights of kings
"nature is dead" - god disaproves
"we will keep ourself to supper-time alone" - isolation unlike a king should be
"my lord" - wife calls him my lord he has given himself elevated status
"both of you know banquo was your enemy" - using power to corrupt minds into doing his bidding
"even till destruction sicken! answer me" macbeth to witches. this shows how he would give up the whole world even to destruction for his own greed and want - contradicts kingly values.

lastly threre is the idea of king vs king
"thou art to like the spirit of banquo! down! thy crown doth sear mine eye-balls - MAcbeth vs BAnquo
"england"... "kking" vs "macbeth" etc

Hopefully this was helpful - good luck with ur exams!!!! :smile: :wink: p.s. this is what i know from my revision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending