Exoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Guys i just got rejected without an interview. I applied for Comsci at Newnham and am unsuccesful. Does anybody want to give me any advices because i dont really feel well..
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Guys i just got rejected without an interview. I applied for Comsci at Newnham and am unsuccesful. Does anybody want to give me any advices because i dont really feel well..
Lots of well-qualified applicants are rejected every year without an interview. There aren't enough places to go round, so it's very competitive.
redhelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry to hear that but many more will get rejected than get places.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
you still have 4 more choices to come back to you, Go and knock your grades out of the park and if your heart is set on Cambridge then there's always next year
Last edited by M4cc4n4; 1 year ago
Exoy
Rep:
?
Now i am thinking like what was i even thinking in the first place.. i thought i had a chance for at least an interview because i had 3 As from AS level.. i was clearly wrong
RussianQuestion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could have something to do with further maths - did you take it?
Are you home, EU or international?
Exoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by RussianQuestion)
Could have something to do with further maths - did you take it?
Are you home, EU or international?
I didnt take further maths as my school doesnt provide it. I am EU
JMR2019.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Aww don’t worry about it, things like this happen :console:
Just take some time out to yourself, and do something fun to cheer you up. But if you really want to go, keep working at your A-levels, if you can smash them, then you’ll be a more competitive reapplicant if you choose to do that.
RussianQuestion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
I didnt take further maths as my school doesnt provide it. I am EU
Odd. Did you mention that in the SAQ?
Did your PS have proof that you enjoy and have a passion for CS?

You'll have to wait until January decisions before asking for feedback, though...
ak239139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Sorry to hear that, but how many UMS marks in total did you get for each subject? This may be a huge factor
SerBronn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well this may appear harsh but if I were an admissions tutor at Cambridge for Computer Science I'd want to see some of the following on an application: Self-motivated learning of some programming languages/frameworks, participation in competitions/challenges/olympiads, involvement in open-source projects, and enthusiasm for some 'big topics'. Three A's at A-level? You're trying to get into one of the top universities in the world. Raise your game!

At an interview if asked "I see you're interested in Machine Learning, tell me something about it" the candidate who says "Well I taught myself how to use TensorFlow and built some models for a kaggle contest" is going to do better than someone who stutteringly says that Machine Learning will be really important in fields like medical diagnosis because they read a Guardian story about it 3 months ago.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s more to life than Oxbridge, I got rejected by Oxford pre interview I know how it feels. Now I’m in a different university having the time of my life (+ stress) and barely even remember it
Exoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by RussianQuestion)
Odd. Did you mention that in the SAQ?
Did your PS have proof that you enjoy and have a passion for CS?

You'll have to wait until January decisions before asking for feedback, though...
Yes i did mention it in the SAQ and i mentioned a lot of stuff in my PS like the program i created and that i was learning Python and using Raspberrypi but apparently that wasn’t enough
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ak239139)
Sorry to hear that, but how many UMS marks in total did you get for each subject? This may be a huge factor
UMS doesn't exist any longer, so it's irrelevant.
Exoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
There’s more to life than Oxbridge, I got rejected by Oxford pre interview I know how it feels. Now I’m in a different university having the time of my life (+ stress) and barely even remember it
Hi which uni are you at?
(Original post by SerBronn)
Well this may appear harsh but if I were an admissions tutor at Cambridge for Computer Science I'd want to see some of the following on an application: Self-motivated learning of some programming languages/frameworks, participation in competitions/challenges/olympiads, involvement in open-source projects, and enthusiasm for some 'big topics'. Three A's at A-level? You're trying to get into one of the top universities in the world. Raise your game!

At an interview if asked "I see you're interested in Machine Learning, tell me something about it" the candidate who says "Well I taught myself how to use TensorFlow and built some models for a kaggle contest" is going to do better than someone who stutteringly says that Machine Learning will be really important in fields like medical diagnosis because they read a Guardian story about it 3 months ago.
I really do understand what you mean and respect your opinion. The only problem is that i am an EU applicant and therefore have limited opportunities here. I live in a very small island called Cyprus.We dont have any olympiads or anything here. And i am even unable to do further maths as my school doesnt let me. But i definitely agree with you about reading around the subject and all..
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Three A's at A-level? You're trying to get into one of the top universities in the world. Raise your game!
In fairness, it was AS and there is no A* grade in the AS.

OP, all you can do now is put it behind you and smash your A-levels. I know this'll be hard to consider in this moment, but ultimately you cannot know whether being rejected was a good or bad thing. It will take hindsight and that is yet to come.

Also, computer science at Cambridge has gotten crazily competitive in recent years so don't feel ashamed.
_R_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Stay positive and keep trying your best. I got rejected from 3 of my universities, and was so scared, but then the remaining 2 gave me unconditionals
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Hi which uni are you at?

I really do understand what you mean and respect your opinion. The only problem is that i am an EU applicant and therefore have limited opportunities here. I live in a very small island called Cyprus.We dont have any olympiads or anything here. And i am even unable to do further maths as my school doesnt let me. But i definitely agree with you about reading around the subject and all..
As you know, CompSci is heavily oversubscribed at Cambridge and plenty of excellent applicants miss out, unfortunately.

Theres always an MPhil at Cambridge if you really fancy the option in years to come.

For now, yes it's understandable to be a bit sad and disappointed but what is Cambridge's loss will be some other good university's gain. :yy:

#NoWrongPath

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Three A's at A-level? You're trying to get into one of the top universities in the world. Raise your game!
AS-level. The highest grade available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are your predictions and GCSEs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.45%
No (81)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (326)
42.89%

Watched Threads