Game of The Year - Nominations Watch

Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Before the battle for the Golden N64 Controller can get underway, we need contestants - to be decided by the community.

In this thread, please post your nomination for Game of The Year, along with the platform you played it on (if multi-platform) and a brief reason (couple of paragraphs max.) as to why you think it should be Game of the Year. For example:

Assassins Creed: Odyssey (PS4)

Got to climb Zeus' penis and Spartan kick a bear off a cliff, what more could you need from a game?

A reminder of the rules to qualify for this competition:
*Games must be available for purchase in the UK, with their original UK release date falling somewhere in 2018 (for games with multiple release dates for different platforms, the earliest release date decides their allocated quarter)
*Remakes, rereleases, and expansion packs (that cannot be played as standalone games) are not eligible. For episodic games, they'll be judged as a whole with the first episodes release deciding the quarter.

Nominations close Monday the 10th of December at 9am
Last edited by Stiff Little Fingers; 1 year ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a cool topic!

Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1)

The game was gripping and flawless, with so many extra-curricular activities. You can immerse yourself in hunting for hours without the task becoming tedious. You can actively hold up stores or people, rob things, escape the law. There's too many activities to name. The story however was a masterpiece in my opinion - a truly deserving prequel that filled in the gaps of Red Dead Redemption 1 and gave us a story we never knew we needed. The graphics, the controls (and the multitude of options within those controls) were just insane.

Rockstar really came through on that game.

Josh
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 year ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Before the battle for the Golden N64 Controller can get underway, we need contestants - to be decided by the community.

In this thread, please post your nomination for Game of The Year, along with the platform you played it on (if multi-platform) and a brief reason (couple of paragraphs max.) as to why you think it should be Game of the Year. For example:

Got to climb Zeus' penis and Spartan kick a bear off a cliff, what more could you need from a game?

*Games must be available for purchase in the UK, with their original UK release date falling somewhere in 2018 (for games with multiple release dates for different platforms, the earliest release date decides their allocated quarter)
*Remakes, rereleases, and expansion packs (that cannot be played as standalone games) are not eligible. For episodic games, they'll be judged as a whole with the first episodes release deciding the quarter.

Should it not really include any games released last December (not that I can think of any) given they weren't eligible last year?

Also, are multiple nominations allowed given the thus far very limited field?
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 year ago
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

The game looks stunning with top quality gameplay. It's slow paced nature makes it something that is relaxing to play as you ride around on your newly caught Arabian White Coat and soak in the sights.

I've never been a fan of overly realistic games - hence why I despised Kingdom Come Deliverance - but Rockstar have managed to perfectly mix a combination of realism with what makes a game fun.

The controls took a while to get used to, as did the pace of the game - as with GTA we're all used to kiling people, getting our stars all the way down and being a free man again. On Red Dead Redemption 2 that is not the case. You have bounties on your head in different parts of the map with your horse also being able to for if you're not careful.

They have taken away the standard fast travel element of games where you travel around an open world on horseback. Initially I didn't like this but now it's something I've come to love about this brilliant game. Mainly because as I'm riding to a mission I sometimes come across someone to interact with or a stranger - side mission - where you can end up with a treasure map or a robbery tip, for example.

For a long time my favourite game was the Witcher 3 and no games came close to it. I tried AC Origins and other RPGs, none of which I enjoyed. Then I got Red Dead Redemption 2 and I can honestly say that this is the first game I am enjoying just as much, if not more - I say hesitating - than the Witcher 3
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Should it not really include any games released last December (not that I can think of any) given they weren't eligible last year?

Also, are multiple nominations allowed given the thus far very limited field?
Well, they weren't eligible last year because it wasn't run last year, Gofre left and it got missed, but no. It's why I'm leaving nominations closing until a little way into December, to catch those this year and ones released now: for instance I'm expecting Pokémon Lets Go and Fallout 76 to pretty much by carried by franchise name and people to want to nominate them, which is a bit hard when people will have only got 3/4 hours with them and be going off a first impression.

Yes to multiple nominations though, just at least try and keep it to one per genre - I get that's a bit broad, for instance does Assassin's Creed: Odyssey count as an RPG or Action-Adventure etc, but for instance if you're nominating a shooter don't just shove in CoD and Battlefield, ones got to be better than the other.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Battlefield V - PC - Played this game a few days so far since early release. Visually stunning. Audio blows your mind and you feel so immersed. The rumble of planes over head, the grr of the V1s.. it really is another level. Gameplay is great and very diverse as ever.

Totally not an EA Shrill 2k18
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
*Games must be available for purchase in the UK, with their original UK release date falling somewhere in 2018
Are free to play games, or titles still in Beta / Early Access eligible?
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Are free to play games, or titles still in Beta / Early Access eligible?
Free to play yes, although the base game has to have been released in 2018 (so, no Fortnite isn't eligible with its initial July 2017 release).

Betas no, unless the full release is before the new year.
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fallout 76

Although I didn't get it, does it really need a reason?
I think the reviews are enough
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

The game looks stunning with top quality gameplay. It's slow paced nature makes it something that is relaxing to play as you ride around on your newly caught Arabian White Coat and soak in the sights.
I don't know if this post needs seconds. but if it does, I would like to second this nomination.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Betas no, unless the full release is before the new year.
That eliminates the two games I've played from this year, then. :p:
Mike John
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Fifa 19. Classly game. Will never be defeated. One of the greatest modern games out there. get it now lads.
liamcarr02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Red Dead Redemption 2: XBOX ONE

Stunning graphics with awesome gameplay and story.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I'm God)
Fallout 76

Although I didn't get it, does it really need a reason?
Yes, it does because it is pretty bad
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
This is a cool topic!

Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1)

The game was gripping and flawless, with so many extra-curricular activities. You can immerse yourself in hunting for hours without the task becoming tedious. You can actively hold up stores or people, rob things, escape the law. There's too many activities to name. The story however was a masterpiece in my opinion - a truly deserving prequel that filled in the gaps of Red Dead Redemption 1 and gave us a story we never knew we needed. The graphics, the controls (and the multitude of options within those controls) were just insane.

Rockstar really came through on that game.

Josh
u dont look like a josh
HealthInsurance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Come on lads only 1 post for FIFA 19? I could go on about why it's the game of the century but lemme list a few:
1. Number 1 in controllers broken
2. In what game can Merte****ingsacker keep up with Gareth Bale? (the answer is only FIFA)
3. The keeper saves 99% of 1 vs 1
4. EA NEEDS MORE MONEY SO GIVE THEM MORE MONEY
5. There's only the prime icon version of Lord Bendtner (props if you get the joke)
I also bought Assasins Creed (both before Black Friday deals when they went to like $20 idk 15 pounds?) and can sadly say that unlike Odyssey, there are no gods' cocks to climb around in FIFA.
Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Nabopolassar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
rdr2 quite easily. Maybe god of war but nah
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pokemon Let’s Go!

A fab blend of the orignal gen 1 and Pokemon Go, and the support player aspect is great
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I'm God)
Does it really need a reason?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (284)
46.71%
No (69)
11.35%
I'm not old enough (255)
41.94%

Watched Threads