katmyster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, all wanted to make this thread for all of us applying to the programme since applications just recently opened. I have a few questions including whether my extracurriculars below are strong enough to be accepted and how to get a strong teacher reference?

To give background I’m in year 12 and got 10A* and 2A at GCSE and taking math bio and chemistry for A level predicted A*/A.

UK youth parliament 2017-2019 (spoke in the House of Commons twice)
Dance- year 9/10
Student council/union -year 11/12
Ambassador to Assistant Principle - year 12
work part time in a pharmacy year 9- present (saturdays, Tuesday and Fridays and full time in the Holidays)
Volunteering to tutor year and 11s in maths - year 10
volunteering at hospital - year 12
Photography passion have professional Instagram for the last 4 years

I’m also planning of doing biology Olympiad later this year and am in the process of setting up a Hampshire Youth Council. I should also applying to do Nuffield research placement in the summer
Ma50n
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi katmyster,

I am a member of the Sutton Trust US Programme's 7th Cohort.

These ECs sound great! It's also important to remember that being dedicated to just a few ECs can be just as impactful as being involved in a wide range of activities.

Hope this helps.

Mason.
katmyster
Rep:
?
Yes thank you for that - are you applying for US UNIS at the moment?
Ma50n
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by katmyster)
Yes thank you for that - are you applying for US UNIS at the moment?
You're welcome. I have sent my Early Decision application and am working on my Regular Decision choices at the moment.
katmyster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ma50n)
You're welcome. I have sent my Early Decision application and am working on my Regular Decision choices at the moment.
Wow that’s so cool - best of luck! Do you mind if I can Pm you about the programme?
Ma50n
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow that’s so cool - best of luck! Do you mind if I can Pm you about the programme?
Sure, I'm always happy to help.
katmyster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ma50n)
Sure, I'm always happy to help.
How do I do that? Or can I do it on like Instagram or something p?
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This thread seems quite interesting, I'm currently doing Triple Science, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Portuguese and Spanish at A Level. I'm applying for the Sutton Trust US Programme. I'm planning to apply to Ivy League universities next year.
katmyster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crow_M)
This thread seems quite interesting, I'm currently doing Triple Science, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Portuguese and Spanish at A Level. I'm applying for the Sutton Trust US Programme. I'm planning to apply to Ivy League universities next year.
Wow you are doing so many a levels are u planning on taking all of those to A2 level? And how are you getting on with the application mine is taking ages to complete
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow you are doing so many a levels are u planning on taking all of those to A2 level? And how are you getting on with the application mine is taking ages to complete
I'm planning to take them all to A2, hopefully I'll get more than 5 A*s. I'm currently taking a look at it, I'm going to start to actually do it this week.

I also have many ECs, further reading, competitions, work experience and I do a few other stuffs. I'm also doing the SAT, ACT and SAT II Subjects (tryhard :rofl; )

You have much EC commitment, well done!
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's your IG btw? ^^
katmyster
Rep:
?
What's your IG btw? ^^
It’s @kathrynbrooks__ what is yours?
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s @kathrynbrooks__ what is yours?
I sent you a message there
bradmsj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm also a member of Cohort 7 ready to answer any questions. I've actually just been admitted to a US university so I've been through the entire process!
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bradmsj)
Hi, I'm also a member of Cohort 7 ready to answer any questions. I've actually just been admitted to a US university so I've been through the entire process!
Hey! What major would you like to do? What grades did you achieve at GCSE (and AS/A2, assuming you did them)? How did you find the summer school? Finally, what tips would you give when applying? Sorry for asking too many questions ;-;
bradmsj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! What major would you like to do? What grades did you achieve at GCSE (and AS/A2, assuming you did them)? How did you find the summer school? Finally, what tips would you give when applying? Sorry for asking too many questions ;-;
There's no such thing as too many questions! I'm probably going to major in French/German and minor in something like International Studies, but that could all change (which is the beauty of the US system, you can experiment and find your niche). I didn't do AS, but at GCSEs I got a 9, 2 8s, and then the rest were A*s bar one A in Geography (I was 1 mark off an A* and I'm still salty). The summer school was honestly the best week of my life, I was on New York Week so I got to stay at Yale which was totally awesome, and it was so great to spend a week with a bunch of who were by that point some of my best friends. The summer school isn't even the more important part of the programme tbh, for me the best part has been the support I've received from staff and mentors in writing my application and exploring all the options I have before me, which is usually totally inaccessible unless you want to pay a hefty fee for private help! My main advice for applying would be to be yourself - write in your own voice, talk about what you want to and not what you think the readers want to see (as they don't have a criteria for the written part as such) and definitely demonstrate your interests and passions! If you have any more questions, let me know!
bradmsj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, a really cool thing about the summer school is that a bunch of admissions reps fly out to Harvard to take part in a uni fair put on just for programme participants.
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no such thing as too many questions! I'm probably going to major in French/German and minor in something like International Studies, but that could all change (which is the beauty of the US system, you can experiment and find your niche). I didn't do AS, but at GCSEs I got a 9, 2 8s, and then the rest were A*s bar one A in Geography (I was 1 mark off an A* and I'm still salty). The summer school was honestly the best week of my life, I was on New York Week so I got to stay at Yale which was totally awesome, and it was so great to spend a week with a bunch of who were by that point some of my best friends. The summer school isn't even the more important part of the programme tbh, for me the best part has been the support I've received from staff and mentors in writing my application and exploring all the options I have before me, which is usually totally inaccessible unless you want to pay a hefty fee for private help! My main advice for applying would be to be yourself - write in your own voice, talk about what you want to and not what you think the readers want to see (as they don't have a criteria for the written part as such) and definitely demonstrate your interests and passions! If you have any more questions, let me know!
That sounds fantastic! I am hoping to send my application in the end of December, having that much support with the application and having contact with mentors. Do you know if I'm allowed to apply to the US Programme AND to a UK summer school?
bradmsj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds fantastic! I am hoping to send my application in the end of December, having that much support with the application and having contact with mentors. Do you know if I'm allowed to apply to the US Programme AND to a UK summer school?
Yes, however if you are accepted on the US programme and make the final 150 then you will become ineligible for Sutton Trust summer schools in the UK. However, there's nothing stopping you from taking part in others, such as UNIQ!
Crow_M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, however if you are accepted on the US programme and make the final 150 then you will become ineligible for Sutton Trust summer schools in the UK. However, there's nothing stopping you from taking part in others, such as UNIQ!
Alright then, I guess that I'll apply to the US and Cambridge Med summer school along with UNIQ Medicine. As I'm in Wales I'm also applying for YYGS (Yales Young Global Summer School), so I'm applying to 2 Oxbridge summer schools and 2 US Programmes.I'd love to get accepted to get accepted in 2 of the summer schools above.

By the way, what did you do outside of the academic environment in the US? Did you meet other people as well?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (635)
41.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads