A level Psychology Watch

kat.st
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m a year 11 student and I need to pick my A level options by December. I am considering psychology because I want to go into teaching, but I have found out that apparently there is quite a bit of maths and biology involved ( and I hate maths and science ). How is psychology and is it ok for people who don’t like maths?? ( and aren’t that good at it )
maisiex10x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kat.st)
I’m a year 11 student and I need to pick my A level options by December. I am considering psychology because I want to go into teaching, but I have found out that apparently there is quite a bit of maths and biology involved ( and I hate maths and science ). How is psychology and is it ok for people who don’t like maths?? ( and aren’t that good at it )
OMG this is literally me!! I was just gonna ask this as well
Lilly T
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I took psychology and I love it. I mean Research Methods is a bit tricky and boring, mainly because it’s a lot of methods and maths, but I love the rest of it as it is so interesting. If you want to do it, I would say do it. It’s well worth it, and like you I chose it for teaching
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bubblecat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
from my experience it depends on the exam board so i would 100% see what exam board the schools you’re applying to use. AQA is quite mathsy I believe but i do OCR psychology and yes there is a bit of maths and biology but it really isnt that much (i hate maths too haha) i really enjoy it theres a lot of aspects to psychology that are super interesting so i wouldnt base your decision on maths/science
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You won't like statistics at uni, guarantee it.
sonia.ahd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do AQA psychology and yeah it is pretty mathsy and biology-ey. Not all of it but if you don’t like maths and bio you might find it tough. It also has a strong essay element and you need to be able to look at research studies critically and evaluate them.
chloet561
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I take AQA psychology and I wouldn't say there is much maths compared to the rest of the course. The most you really have to do is work out the mean, median and mode with really simple values. As for biology, there's a biopsychology topic where you learn about neurones and the nervous system but that's only one topic out of quite a few. Most of psychology is essay based so you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
9.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.49%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.43%

Watched Threads