The Student Room Group

Which tech career/grad scheme for me...

Hi Guys,

I am about to graduate with a degree in accounting and finance and despite the lucrative potentials in these industries, after doing my placement I realised it was boring and have always loved tech instead.

Would appreciate if people could help narrow down my options, I want a field that is well-paid and interesting.

1) first question I had was what is the difference between a systems analyst, business analyst and technical consultant? Seems like they are all the same. (this was one option that has interested me, but I have been told these tales are more business based and not really technology...)

2) the fields I was looking at include as these seem very exciting with lots of career progression:
Cyber security
tech consultant/business analyst./systems analyst
network engineer

are there any other suggestions? I do not want to lean towards the software engineering side, due to having more analytical skills too so don't want to be coding whole day, but I do still want office job.

These are some of the grad schemes I've been looking at like BT and Tesco...

https://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/earlycareers/graduates/Ourprogrammes/index.htm

https://www.tesco-programmes.com/ireland/#

I noticed there's separate cyber security for both but I'm leaning more towards doing the general programmes since this seems to give exposure to everything then makes sense I can choose what I enjoy the most. For the BT, would the tech consultant or technology programme be best? Seems like big overlap.

3) lastly would it be best to stick towards tech companies like BT, Sky IBM act or does it really not matter? I'm leaning away from the banks technology programmes since I feel like I'd learn more in tech companies.

Any help with this all really appreciated, very confused atm
Reply 1
Original post by alexp98

2) the fields I was looking at include as these seem very exciting with lots of career progression:
Cyber security
tech consultant/business analyst./systems analyst
network engineer

are there any other suggestions? I do not want to lean towards the software engineering side, due to having more analytical skills too so don't want to be coding whole day, but I do still want office job.

These are some of the grad schemes I've been looking at like BT and Tesco...

https://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/earlycareers/graduates/Ourprogrammes/index.htm

https://www.tesco-programmes.com/ireland/#

I noticed there's separate cyber security for both but I'm leaning more towards doing the general programmes since this seems to give exposure to everything then makes sense I can choose what I enjoy the most. For the BT, would the tech consultant or technology programme be best? Seems like big overlap.

3) lastly would it be best to stick towards tech companies like BT, Sky IBM act or does it really not matter? I'm leaning away from the banks technology programmes since I feel like I'd learn more in tech companies.

Any help with this all really appreciated, very confused atm

I'd say with someone without a large tech background a consultant is a good place to start. You don't need to know programming, you can just learn about technology by researching it yourself. I'm not entirely sure about BAs but the below links may help you.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/business-analyst
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/it-consultant

I think it's important that you find the role interesting. Cyber security is fairly specific though, I think it's a bit more hands on but it depends on what you want out of your role. It's good to have a sense of direction at least, depending on the company there may be options for you to switch roles anyway.

I have worked in big IT firms for 3 years and you can definitely see the bigger picture in terms of projects. In terms of what's "better", I don't know what you're referring to. Every company has its ups and downs, if anything it's harder to move up in bigger companies as opposed to startups for example. I don't think it matters in terms of whether it makes your CV more impressive. As for skill development, it really depends. Big company or small company, just make sure you're interested in what the role has to offer.

I do enjoy working in tech, I'm not working now as I'm doing a master's but I'll be back next year once I have my qualifications.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
I'd say with someone without a large tech background a consultant is a good place to start. You don't need to know programming, you can just learn about technology by researching it yourself. I'm not entirely sure about BAs but the below links may help you.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/business-analyst
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/it-consultant

I think it's important that you find the role interesting. Cyber security is fairly specific though, I think it's a bit more hands on but it depends on what you want out of your role. It's good to have a sense of direction at least, depending on the company there may be options for you to switch roles anyway.

I have worked in big IT firms for 3 years and you can definitely see the bigger picture in terms of projects. In terms of what's "better", I don't know what you're referring to. Every company has its ups and downs, if anything it's harder to move up in bigger companies as opposed to startups for example. I don't think it matters in terms of whether it makes your CV more impressive. As for skill development, it really depends. Big company or small company, just make sure you're interested in what the role has to offer.

I do enjoy working in tech, I'm not working now as I'm doing a master's but I'll be back next year once I have my qualifications.

With the consultant path is there lots of good job progression?

Yeah exactly i agree re the cyber security i think a good place to start would be gaining exposure to a bit of everything like consulting, networking and security then seeing what i like rather than going for something specific.

In terms of grad schemes should i go for a generic tech one then or tech consulting? In terms of better i just meant progression and salary.

Many thanks for all the help uws!
Reply 3
Original post by alexp98
With the consultant path is there lots of good job progression?

Yeah exactly i agree re the cyber security i think a good place to start would be gaining exposure to a bit of everything like consulting, networking and security then seeing what i like rather than going for something specific.

In terms of grad schemes should i go for a generic tech one then or tech consulting? In terms of better i just meant progression and salary.

Many thanks for all the help uws!

It probably depends on the company you're applying to. Some grad roles have flexibility but a lot of the time you stay in the same role you initially applied to, at least after the first year.

A generic tech one might be good, it gives you exposure across a wide range of things. Check out Gradcracker, quite a lot of options on there. Salary is usually fixed between £25,000-£30,000 to start off with, sometimes less and sometimes more depending on the company but that's usually what you're given.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
It probably depends on the company you're applying to. Some grad roles have flexibility but a lot of the time you stay in the same role you initially applied to, at least after the first year.

A generic tech one might be good, it gives you exposure across a wide range of things. Check out Gradcracker, quite a lot of options on there. Salary is usually fixed between £25,000-£30,000 to start off with, sometimes less and sometimes more depending on the company but that's usually what you're given.

Thanks will take a look now, any tips for the application process? I've heard they're super competitive, would love to work for the tesco, sky or BT one.
Reply 5
Original post by alexp98
Thanks will take a look now, any tips for the application process? I've heard they're super competitive, would love to work for the tesco, sky or BT one.

The bigger companies have multiple stages involving phone interviews, assessment centres and psychometric tests.

I guess the best tip I can give you is to know what you're applying for and do a lot of research and preparation. Many people go into interviews and don't know anything about the company or the role they're applying to. Show them you're interested and passionate about what you're applying for.
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
The bigger companies have multiple stages involving phone interviews, assessment centres and psychometric tests.

I guess the best tip I can give you is to know what you're applying for and do a lot of research and preparation. Many people go into interviews and don't know anything about the company or the role they're applying to. Show them you're interested and passionate about what you're applying for.

Thanks, really appreciate the help. Hows your masters going?
Reply 7
Software engineering no, and money is important. In terms od networking i need to learn about that
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, really appreciate the help. Hows your masters going?

It's going well thanks :smile: Really busy these days but I'm enjoying it!
Hey, glad I found this thread as I have the same question. Accounting student going into tech at a bank, what would it be like? Any idea?

Quick Reply

Latest