username1815085
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys.
Next year I'm going to start my master degree (actually I don't know if is better to take a 1year break and starting work after my bachelor and take some work experience).
I'm graduating in political science and international relations but I'm bit confused about what course I could take after. I'm unsure about continuing with a political science and international degree or take an Economics degree.
The main reason for this is because I'm uncertain of the future employability of the Pol Science/IR over an Economics degree. I did some research and I found out that Economics degree's owners have way more jobs opportunities than Pol Sciences ones. In the private sector, lots of employers ask for an Economics degree while Pol Science is more toward the public sector and Economics too.
I like Pol Science and I like Economics too (maybe a bit less since you study just economics, instead PolSc is a multi-disciplinary course).
Regarding my future job desired is work for NGOs in the human rights/LGBT rights field or EU institutions/ international organizations/ governments (but they are VERY competitive jobs, therefore, I shouldn't consider them). With an Economics degree I think I could have way more jobs opportunities like banks, institutions, firms etc.
What do you think?
Thank you
username1815085
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Bump
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well some things to consider are;

Can you go directly into an economics masters course from your background, or would you need to take some kind of "conversion" diploma first? Is this financially feasible for you?

How likely are you to do well in an economics course compared to a politics one? Is a worse result (pass, for example) in an economics course going to get you the same benefit as a better one (e.g. merit/distinction) in a politics course you are more engaged with?

Is the difference you've observed between masters graduates in economics and politics a general one, or only pertaining to specific economics courses offered by particular universities? If you go to another university for economics than one of these, will this get you this same benefit, or will the difference be smaller or non-existent (or even negative)?

It might be better to try and take a year out and find some work as a graduate generally while you consider your options, as you may find the extra time helps you come to an informed decision, or you may get a permanent position you actually really enjoy and can live off of and a masters would be unnecessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads