Dominic Raab resigns as Brexit Secretary

Watch
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46219495

Claiming he cannot support the draft agreement.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Didnt he negotiate it?

Well it looks like 2nd referendum or no deal.

What a mess.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Both Dave Davis and Dominic Raab were in charge of drafting the agreement. They've now both resigned because they don't support it.

Either they're both incompetent or it's impossible for Brexiteers to get a deal that they're happy with. The latter seems to be the most obvious case since the Leave campaign essentially revolved around the idea that we'd have our cake and eat it.

Who would have thought 1 country against 27 wouldn't get preferential treatment in negotiations? :facepalm2:
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Both Dave Davis and Dominic Raab were in charge of drafting the agreement. They've now both resigned because they don't support it.

Either they're both incompetent or it's impossible for Brexiteers to get a deal that they're happy with. The latter seems to be the most obvious case since the Leave campaign essentially revolved around the idea that we'd have our cake and eat it.

Who would have thought 1 country against 27 wouldn't get preferential treatment in negotiations? :facepalm2:
You can thank people such as yourself for the lack of progress, you can also thank Brexiteers for being the forgiving types, in medieval times your treason would be taken much more seriously.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
You can thank people such as yourself for the lack of progress, you can also thank Brexiteers for being the forgiving types, in medieval times your treason would be taken much more seriously.
:laugh: the lack of progress isn't because of a few people saying "this is a bad idea" on an internet forum, it's because the Brexiteers have no clear idea of what they want out of it. Own your own failure, take personal responsibility.

And now Ester McVey has joined him: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8634691.html - I smell a VoNC in May on the way
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edgy much?

Typical Brexiteer, blaming everyone but themselves. In this case, remainers.

Please explain how people like myself have stopped progress in the negotations?
Last edited by SHallowvale; 1 year ago
DrMikeHuntHertz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edgy much?

Typical Brexiteer, blaming everyone but themself. In this case, remainers.

Please explain how people like myself have stopped progress in the negotations?
Treasonous May is a Remainer, look at all the damage she has done so far, it's been 2 years, 1972 Act should have been repealed instantly.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Treasonous May is a Remainer, look at all the damage she has done so far, it's been 2 years, 1972 Act should have been repealed instantly.
And she essentially won the premiership because nobody else wanted the job. All the Brexit-supporting Tory ministers shirked the responsibility entirely. If anyone is treasonous, it's those who backed the referendum but now won't do anything to actually implement it, except heckle in parliament during PMQs.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
And she essentially won the premiership because nobody else wanted the job. All the Brexit-supporting Tory ministers shirked the responsibility entirely. If anyone is treasonous, it's those who backed the referendum but now won't do anything to actually implement it, except heckle in parliament during PMQs.
The problem the Brexiteers have is that parliament is filled with traitorous Remainers, taking the job would be near political suicide.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The problem the Brexiteers have is that parliament is filled with traitorous Remainers, taking the job would be near political suicide.
What makes them "traitorous" exactly? They were all voted in by their constituents.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I'm responsible for a lack of progress in negotations because May and her government are incompetent at delivering a suitable Brexit agreement?

Gotcha, makes total sense.

Once again you're blaming others for your own failings. You're conviniently forgetting that both Dave Davis and Dominic Raab were Leavers and that the Chequers plan undoubtably leans us towards a hard Brexit. Turns out Brexit can't be as nice as expected so you're throwing a tantrum.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can thank people such as yourself for the lack of progress.
I genuinely want to know where Brexiteers get the idea that members of the general public taking a negative view of our prospects has in any way affected our negotiating position. Like seriously, do you honestly believe the dissatisfaction of Remainers and disgruntled ex-Leavers is genuinely influencing our elected officials' capacity to negotiate a positive outcome, or that Brussels needed it as an excuse to take the stern negotiating position that they would obviously have taken even if the Leave vote was 99%? I'm not even trying to be snarky or combative here, I just genuinely don't have a clue where this mentality came from.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
What makes them "traitorous" exactly? They were all voted in by their constituents.
I am referring to Remainers as a group, including constituents, probably should just use the catch all of libtard but I am trying to be polite.

So I'm responsible for a lack of progress in negotations because May and her government are incompetent at delivering a suitable Brexit agreement?

Gotcha, makes total sense.

Once again you're blaming others for your own failings. You're conviniently forgetting that both Dave Davis and Dominic Raab were Leavers and that the Chequers plan undoubtably leans us towards a hard Brexit. Turns out Brexit can't be as nice as expected so you're throwing a tantrum.
My failings? 'Hard' brexit would be wonderful.
(Original post by Gofre)
I genuinely want to know where Brexiteers get the idea that members of the general public taking a negative view of our prospects has in any way affected our negotiating position. Like seriously, do you honestly believe the dissatisfaction of Remainers and disgruntled ex-Leavers is genuinely influencing our elected officials' capacity to negotiate a positive outcome, or that Brussels needed it as an excuse to take the stern negotiating position that they would obviously have taken even if the Leave vote was 99%? I'm not even trying to be snarky or combative here, I just genuinely don't have a clue where this mentality came from.
Well Remainers have influenced the layout of the HoC and also the HoL by proxy at elections.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Didnt he negotiate it?

Well it looks like 2nd referendum or no deal.

What a mess.
In my understanding Raab (and Davis before him) did very little of negotiations and it was more or less being run by Number 10
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well Remainers have influenced the layout of the HoC and also the HoL by proxy at elections.
Remind me how many of those pro-remain officials were involved in negotiating Brexiteers proceedings again?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My failings? 'Hard' brexit would be wonderful.
Except it won't be, and even the people who want a hard Brexit know this (EG Farage, Mogg, Johnson, etc).
DrMikeHuntHertz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Remind me how many of those pro-remain officials were involved in negotiating Brexiteers proceedings again?
You mean like Olly Robbins?
Except it won't be, and even the people who want a hard Brexit know this (EG Farage, Mogg, Johnson, etc).
As someone who keeps their wealth in $ for the time being, a big drop in the £ would be more than welcome.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You mean like Olly Robbins?
Unless I'm missing something, he's not nor has he ever been appointed by an election by the public.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Unless I'm missing something, he's not nor has he ever been appointed by an election by the public.
Yeah he's part of the Deep State™.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Robbins has been playing a role in negotiating the deal,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads