The Student Room Group

Should I be disappointed?

So basically, I got my formative essay back today and I got 58 (high 2.2) and this may be the first essay I have written in this form but I truly feel like I've failed.

Should I be feeling this way or for a first essay is this a good grade to get?
Original post by ZoeF499
So basically, I got my formative essay back today and I got 58 (high 2.2) and this may be the first essay I have written in this form but I truly feel like I've failed.

Should I be feeling this way or for a first essay is this a good grade to get?

What feedback did you get?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What feedback did you get?

It was mainly just to apply more references tbh, there wasnt much that they genuinley put in terms of comments
Hey @ZoeF499

I'm going to go out on a limb to say the first time you do anything, you shouldn't be disappointed by the results. Precisely because it's the first time you're doing it.

Does anyone do anything perfectly the first time? Roller-skate, cycle, swim, spell, cook... There might be a freak of nature who's absolutely perfect all the time (and possibly a robot), but in general, no, it's not probable anyone hits bulls-eye the first time. You really shouldn't feel that you've failed.

As Ageshallnot has indicated, feedback is really important. Even if you got 99%, you should want feedback on how you lost that 1%.

Maybe after you've written a million essays and haven't got any better at doing it, you can give yourself permission to feel like a failure. But not yet!

Dawn:u:
Original post by ZoeF499
It was mainly just to apply more references tbh, there wasnt much that they genuinley put in terms of comments

I'm surprised that's all the feedback you received. Perhaps you could ask what would get you up to at least a high 2.1 because more references by themselves won't do that.

It could be that they are being deliberately tough for your first essays, giving everyone a bit of a reality check.

Quick Reply

Latest