The Student Room Group

history vs psychology a level

I’m picking my a levels and i’m having trouble choosing between history and psychology. I’ve always been interested in psychology and I’ve said for a few years that I want to take psychology a level, but I’m leaning towards a career to do with writing (journalist, copywriter, etc) which history would probably be more useful in.

My other a levels are english literature and philosophy religion ethics, and I want to do an epq. I’ve never taken psychology but I do think I would enjoy it and I’m predicted 7s and 8s in all my sciences. I’m predicted an 8 in history but I think that could easily go down to a 7, as I find the tests quite hard. I’m also still wondering about a career in counselling, which psychology may help in??

Any advice? x
Original post by ilsamck
I’m picking my a levels and i’m having trouble choosing between history and psychology. I’ve always been interested in psychology and I’ve said for a few years that I want to take psychology a level, but I’m leaning towards a career to do with writing (journalist, copywriter, etc) which history would probably be more useful in.

My other a levels are english literature and philosophy religion ethics, and I want to do an epq. I’ve never taken psychology but I do think I would enjoy it and I’m predicted 7s and 8s in all my sciences. I’m predicted an 8 in history but I think that could easily go down to a 7, as I find the tests quite hard. I’m also still wondering about a career in counselling, which psychology may help in??

Any advice? x

Well, I think you should first think about the courses that you could see yourself doing in university and look at the A-level requirements. If I'm not mistaken, some psychology courses don't even require psychology but rather Biology.

Also, as history is a facilitating subject it'd open you up to more opportunities in the event that you change your mind. However, if you don't think you'd enjoy it or do well in it then I think psychology would be the better option.

What do you need to do to be a counsellor? If you check in UCAS I believe they tell you the recommenced/ helpful/ related to degrees to a career which could give you insight to what you should pick.

Hope this helps
History is horrifically hard, its currently the bane of my life. On the other hand, i’m loving psychology. I find both quite interesting but history is a lot of work and very difficult. Psychology could also help a career such as journalist as it is an essay subject and as you already have english lit i don’t think it would be that drastic if you didn’t take history. At the end of the day pick the one you’re more interested in and the one you think you’ll do better in
Original post by ilsamck

Any advice? x

As someone who’s currently taking English Literature and History, did psychology but dropped it - I’d definitely recommend history! Although my experience was altered by a crap psychology teacher, they’re both strong in terms of essay writing, so whichever you pick won’t make much difference tbh.
Original post by bubblecat
History is horrifically hard, its currently the bane of my life. On the other hand, i’m loving psychology. I find both quite interesting but history is a lot of work and very difficult. Psychology could also help a career such as journalist as it is an essay subject and as you already have english lit i don’t think it would be that drastic if you didn’t take history. At the end of the day pick the one you’re more interested in and the one you think you’ll do better in

History was really easy for me - GCSE and A-level is pretty much all about PEEL and a good argument, which is a piece of cake.

I wouldn't be worrying about your career at A-level, unless there is a chance you won't go to uni. GCSE and A-levels don't tend to factor much into starting a career if you have a good uni degree (2:1+).
History is more related to English Literature but you do still do essays in Psychology. Check on university websites to see if choosing psychology instead of history will negatively impact on you, but I don't think it would. I'm currently doing History and Psychology and I enjoy both but find History significantly more challenging and I'm having to put in more work to get the grades I want. If you're still considering counselling, it might be better to take psycholgoy to keep your options open as some universities require (or prefer) you to have a science A-level (including psychology) for Psychology degrees.
Hope this helped.
Original post by BowlOfFruit
History was really easy for me - GCSE and A-level is pretty much all about PEEL and a good argument, which is a piece of cake.

I wouldn't be worrying about your career at A-level, unless there is a chance you won't go to uni. GCSE and A-levels don't tend to factor much into starting a career if you have a good uni degree (2:1+).

Good for you. It was easy for me also at GCSE but the workload at A Level is immense
Original post by ilsamck

Any advice? x

Chaos.

You need to do a pros and cons.

Why History?
What career will you try for?
What grade do you think you can get?
How interesting is it for you?

Why Psychology?
What career will you try for?
What grade do you think you can get?
How interesting is it for you?

From an academic point imo History is superior.
Have you looked into counselling careers?
Have you looked into what degree you might do?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/broadcast-journalist
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/magazine-journalist
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/newspaper-journalist

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/counsellor

Explore both routes and see if either is preferred.

Psychology degrees such as this dont require psychology.

I would go for the one you are likely to get the best grades in.
http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/psychology-and-counselling

You have more thinking and research to do. Fill in the blanks.
Make the decisions in a more methodical and organised way.
It should be obvious when you answer some of the above questions.
Reply 8
History is perceived as superior academically at A-level
Reply 9
If you haven't already decided, I would say go with psychology. It sounds like you're more interested in it and I'm finding it definitely easier than history, as are lots if other people. I don't think the subject choice will be massively important in terms of keeping your options open and stuff like that as both involve similar skills! Most importantly just go with the one you'll get the best grade in to be honest, that's what it comes down to.
Hey, which did you choose out of history or psychology? I’m trying to decide between them ! I’m also doing English literature and religion ethics and drama.

Quick Reply

Latest