The Student Room Group

Essential amino acid codons

now i dont know if my question makes sense lol but here it goes.
First, we know that the amino acid codon chart is universal, correct?
Now, that chart has 64 codons for 20 amino acids.
We also know that humans can only synthesize 11 amino acids de-novo , so the other 9 (essential amino acids) must be obtained through the diet.
For example, Histidine is essential to humans, and has the codons "CAC" and "CAU".
If we find the codon "CAU" in a human cell, what would happen? since we cannot synthesize Histidine, what will it code for?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by basharhd99
now i dont know if my question makes sense lol but here it goes.
First, we know that the amino acid codon chart is universal, correct?
Now, that chart has 64 codons for 20 amino acids.
We also know that humans can only synthesize 11 amino acids de-novo , so the other 9 (essential amino acids) must be obtained through the diet.
For example, Histidine is essential to humans, and has the codons "CAC" and "CAU".
If we find the codon "CAU" in a human cell, what would happen? since we cannot synthesize Histidine, what will it code for?

The codons are not an instruction to *synthesize* the amino acid. They are a binding site for the transfer RNA molecule that "carries" that particular amino acid. In other words, they are an instruction saying, "put a histidine [or whatever] here". The aa molecule may be obtained from the diet/environment or synthesised by the organism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending