The Student Room Group

Should I go to an aviation college to become a commercial pilot?

They teach aviation operations level 2/3. The thing is, it seems to be more for management jobs and keeping an airport running rather than aviation. I don't know if it would be more suitable to just go to a normal college and study 3 A levels.

I want to do something that will help me stand out from the rest since the airline industry is very competitive but I don't want to get a degree.
Reply 1
You have to go through either the modular or integrated ATPL route, no point going to an aviation college
Original post by Subzzzzz
You have to go through either the modular or integrated ATPL route, no point going to an aviation college

How does anyone afford to become a pilot? I really wanted to do it but since I can't afford it, I'm stuck doing a degree that sucks asss
Reply 3
Original post by mr_phys101
How does anyone afford to become a pilot? I really wanted to do it but since I can't afford it, I'm stuck doing a degree that sucks asss

Working as soon as A levels are complete and paying via the modular route, or of course parents bank account...
Reply 4
Original post by Subzzzzz

I know that. But I'm 15 and I'm deciding what to do after high school. I should have been more clear. I'm wondering if it will look good for airlines as an extra boost on my CV or if it's not worth it. I know I'm not going to learn to fly there
Reply 5
Original post by mr_phys101
How does anyone afford to become a pilot?

They either;
- get lucky and get in with an airline's trainee scheme
- get bonded through a flying school that takes them on and then takes a cut of their pay once they get a job (which they control)
- leave military service after doing enough flying that qualifies them for part of their licenses.

Quick Reply

Latest