Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One of my options is St.Andrews, where you pick three subjects initially. I will pick History (modern most likely) and IR, but wanted an interesting third subject. While I would likely drop Management in the second year, it seems interesting to me as I want to own my own business. However, would a Management degree, if I did end up doing a degree in it, be as prestigious as, say, History at a top uni is?

ReputationRep:
    Excelling in whatever degree you do is more important than the degree itself.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    One of my options is St.Andrews, where you pick three subjects initially. I will pick History (modern most likely) and IR, but wanted an interesting third subject. While I would likely drop Management in the second year, it seems interesting to me as I want to own my own business. However, would a Management degree, if I did end up doing a degree in it, be as prestigious as, say, History at a top uni is?
    Hey!

I am in my third year studying Management at Bath and I am really glad I chose the course.

I had exactly the same worry as some people consider Management a 'soft subject', however I have still found it a challenging subject as I had never studied anything like business or economics and so a lot of the concepts felt new (although not unmanagable).

If you are looking to start your own business, I definitely think Management would be a relevant subject as you get a good grounding in accounting, marketing, finance, HR, politics, international business, branding etc. I like that it is a broad subject because you don't lose interest from doing the same thing all the time.

However, this is not to say that you cannot start your own business if you do a history degree. I have friends studying Natural Science degrees doing placements in marketing so I don't think your course particularly restricts your career options, although it does present opportunities within that field. For example, being part of the Management School gives me access to good contacts, tips on applications to some of the larger, well-known companies, CV help, mock interviews, 1:1 placement meetings etc.

Additionally, a lot of Management courses include a placement year - I am currently on my placement and would 100% recommend it as it forces you to narrow down what you enjoy most before you get to final year. It also made me practise writing cover letters, perfecting my CV, doing online tests and gaining interview experience.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions or are interested in finding out a bit more about Management at Bath, just quote me

Alice,
    3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.