ak239139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Could someone please help me? I really don't get this. If you get an offer from cambridge, do you get accepted? If you look at the 2017 graph, about twice as many got offers than people accepted? Could someone please explain this? Thanks https://prnt.sc/liu1ke
ambiplasma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Some people were given offers for the next year and some chose to reapply next year since too many people got the grade requirements, I met someone recently who was reapplying to unis for this reason
Tbh Cambridge is really bad with organisation in my experience so it's not a surprise that this happened
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ak239139)
Could someone please help me? I really don't get this. If you get an offer from cambridge, do you get accepted? If you look at the 2017 graph, about twice as many got offers than people accepted? Could someone please explain this? Thanks https://prnt.sc/liu1ke
This graph is for maths so has a lower acceptance rate than modify subject. Cause of step. The difference between offers and acceptances will be mostly people who fail to get the grades in step and some people who miss the a level grades and some people who decided to form elsewhere or may have decided to study abroad etc. There will also be some people who have had a change of mind about going to uni based on personal reasons.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
UK students apply with predicted grades - they don't receive their actual grades until after they have sent their applications and universities have made a conditional offer. The student needs to achieve the grades stipulated in the conditional offer (i.e. conditions) to be accepted. If they don't achieve those grades, sometimes the university will still take them if they're a "near miss" but this varies widely. However the key point is, if the student doesn't achieve those grades they are not automatically accepted and the offering university has no obligation to take them.

Mathematics at Cambridge has the additional attrition point of the STEP exams, as noted above. These are additional exams taken after the main A-level exams, and students normally need to achieve very high results in them to be accepted onto the course - in addition to achieving their A-level exam grades stipulated in the offer. Again, they may take near misses, but it depends on a lot (the university gets the full transcript from the STEP papers, so they look very closely at the work done by those who are "near misses" to decide if they merit a place).

As a result of both of the above, all universities in the UK make more offers than they have places, because they know not all of these offers will "convert" into an acceptance. Cambridge maths especially has a lower conversion rate due to the additional STEP requirements (shared by a few other "top" mathematics courses). Incidentally offer/conversion rates actually vary a lot across the colleges for maths - some make very few offers, but most of their students achieve them (St Johns, Trinity) while others make lots of offers, but relatively few achieve them (a lot of others) and a few are in the middle. It works out to I think roughly about 50% of those made an offer achieve it, year on year, across the colleges though.

For students who have already achieved their qualifications (e.g. gap year applicants - although I'm not sure STEP marks "carry over" in the case of Cambridge maths specifically), universities don't make conditional offers normally and will just make an unconditional offer (which if accepted by the applicant, is an acceptance by the university as well then) or reject them outright.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 10 months ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The simple answer is STEP. Most Cambridge Offer holders actually miss their offer. And if they miss the offer the colleges can review their STEP scripts and have the discretion to allow near misses to still be accepted.

Also the Summer Pool is quite important for Maths but isn't fully reflected in that chart. It is only showing the "Acceptances though summer pool" by Churchill itself and there aren't any, but in practice some offer holders will miss their Churchill offer, but be close enough to go into the Pool where another college will fish them. Have a look at this:

Name:  Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 23.20.38.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  146.5 KB

In 2017 16 students were fished by a different college in the Summer Pool. In 2016 it was 26.

The Summer Pool is a "last chance saloon" for some students Cambridge journey

(Original post by artful_lounger)
For students who have already achieved their qualifications (e.g. gap year applicants - although I'm not sure STEP marks "carry over" in the case of Cambridge maths specifically), universities don't make conditional offers normally and will just make an unconditional offer (which if accepted by the applicant, is an acceptance by the university as well then) or reject them outright.
Marks don't "carry over" as such but they just need to be re-entered/updated by a gap year applicant when they (re)apply. Cambridge will *usually* only give an unconditional offer to a Maths applicant if they already have strong STEP. A Maths applicant with good A-levels but no STEP (or more rarely poor STEP) might get a STEP-only offer. In all cases they will need an interview before any offer though.
Last edited by Doones; 10 months ago
ak239139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
The simple answer is STEP. Most Cambridge Offer holders actually miss their offer. And if they miss the offer the colleges can review their STEP scripts and have the discretion to allow near misses to still be accepted.

Also the Summer Pool is quite important for Maths but isn't fully reflected in that chart. It is only showing the "Acceptances though summer pool" by Churchill itself and there aren't any, but in practice some offer holders will miss their Churchill offer, but be close enough to go into the Pool where another college will fish them. Have a look at this:

Name:  Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 23.20.38.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  146.5 KB

In 2017 16 students were fished by a different college in the Summer Pool. In 2016 it was 26.

The Summer Pool is a "last chance saloon" for some students Cambridge journey

Marks don't "carry over" as such but they just need to be re-entered/updated by a gap year applicant when they (re)apply. Cambridge will *usually* only give an unconditional offer to a Maths applicant if they already have strong STEP. A Maths applicant with good A-levels but no STEP (or more rarely poor STEP) might get a STEP-only offer. In all cases they will need an interview before any offer though.
Ok thank you. I also have a question not related to this topic if I may. My teacher said that if I do Step I in year 12 and get an 1 or S, cambridge will have to accept me. Do you know if this is true?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ok thank you. I also have a question not related to this topic if I may. My teacher said that if I do Step I in year 12 and get an 1 or S, cambridge will have to accept me. Do you know if this is true?
I do know. Considering the typical offer is 1,1 in 2 papers (II and III) just getting that grade in only one definitely won't "force" them to make an offer. But it would certainly be helpful, although missing those grades would potentially disadvantage you so don't sit it early just "for fun'.
Myboy66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Doones)
I do know. Considering the typical offer is 1,1 in 2 papers (II and III) just getting that grade in only one definitely won't "force" them to make an offer. But it would certainly be helpful, although missing those grades would potentially disadvantage you so don't sit it early just "for fun'.
Hi, I would like to know if an applicant got rejected after the interview for maths course is it ok for him to reapply on the following year? He did not take STEP test during the 1st application attempt. But now he has just taken it and will be applying to Cambridge again once it is opened for application. Will he be in a disadvantage stage for applying it for the 2nd time?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Myboy66)
Hi, I would like to know if an applicant got rejected after the interview for maths course is it ok for him to reapply on the following year? He did not take STEP test during the 1st application attempt. But now he has just taken it and will be applying to Cambridge again once it is opened for application. Will he be in a disadvantage stage for applying it for the 2nd time?
If the candidate achieves 1,1 they would be a potentially competitive re-applicant.
Myboy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You mean step ii & iii 1,1?
(Original post by Doones)
If the candidate achieves 1,1 they would be a potentially competitive re-applicant.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Myboy66)
You mean step ii & iii 1,1?
Yes, that's the typical offer requirement. Any candidate for any course who applies with that course's typical requirement already achieved is usually considered to be a competitive candidate.
Myboy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
OK thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.78%
No (173)
75.22%

Watched Threads