jalapeño3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in year 11 and in the process of applying for sixth forms, I’m interested in taking both French and Spanish for A level (I do both for GCSE) because they’re my favourite subjects and I’d like to study languages at university and then go into a languages-based career afterwards. For anyone who is currently doing French or Spanish (or both) at A level, how are you finding it so far and how are the lessons different from GCSE?
Also which subjects do you think would compliment them the best? Apart from languages I’m considering Maths, Geography, Law and Economics for my third subject.
Thanks for reading!
aimee_grace01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do law and geography do you need some advice?
jalapeño3
Rep:
?
(Original post by aimee_grace01)
I do law and geography do you need some advice?
Yes please, what are the subjects / lessons like and which do you enjoy the most?
aimee_grace01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jalapeño3)
Yes please, what are the subjects / lessons like and which do you enjoy the most?
So at A level I study History, Geography, Law and Government and Politics.
I absolutely love geography. Depending what exam board you do I do a mixture of physical and human geography as well as course work. My favourite physical topic is tectonics and my favourite human topic is human rights and human migration. I’m taught in a small class of 8 and I love it.

Law is where my passion is though and it’s what I’ve chosen to do at uni. Depending also what exam board you do, I study English legal systems, criminal law (offences against the person such as murder and assault), tort law (negligence, psychiatric harm, pure economic loss, nuisance, trespassing) and then I’m studying contract law at the moment. I’m also again taught in a small class. I love the subject because I can really interrogate the language and it’s something new compared to what I’d done at GCSE. It’s overall really interesting and really diverse
jalapeño3
Rep:
?
I absolutely love geography. Depending what exam board you do I do a mixture of physical and human geography as well as course work. My favourite physical topic is tectonics and my favourite human topic is human rights and human migration. I’m taught in a small class of 8 and I love it.

Law is where my passion is though and it’s what I’ve chosen to do at uni. Depending also what exam board you do, I study English legal systems, criminal law (offences against the person such as murder and assault), tort law (negligence, psychiatric harm, pure economic loss, nuisance, trespassing) and then I’m studying contract law at the moment. I’m also again taught in a small class. I love the subject because I can really interrogate the language and it’s something new compared to what I’d done at GCSE. It’s overall really interesting and really diverse
They both sound great, thanks for the info
jalapeño3
Rep:
?

They both sound great, thanks for the info
katiejw_24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 13 and study Geography. I achieved second best in my year at GCSE with an A* but with the jump to A-Level I'm really struggling and am consistently getting Cs in my mocks. The course content is just huge and the questions are very different to GCSE. It might just be me though :P I really regret taking Geography now and wish I'd stuck with Psychology (I dropped it) or Sociology as both look a lot easier. But again, it's a subjective matter. Some people love Geography and will find it easier, others wont! Good luck with your GCSEs
jalapeño3
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiejw_24)
I'm in year 13 and study Geography. I achieved second best in my year at GCSE with an A* but with the jump to A-Level I'm really struggling and am consistently getting Cs in my mocks. The course content is just huge and the questions are very different to GCSE. It might just be me though :P I really regret taking Geography now and wish I'd stuck with Psychology (I dropped it) or Sociology as both look a lot easier. But again, it's a subjective matter. Some people love Geography and will find it easier, others wont! Good luck with your GCSEs
Thanks, and good luck with your A-Levels too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads