I got an A* (grade 8) for spanish. Ask me anything Watch

miss_ambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey guys. So I'm currently in yr11, however, in our school, you take a choice GCSE and language GCSE early in yr10. I managed to get a grade 8 for Spanish. So what do you want to know?
eviemaddy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey! I’m in year 11 rn and am taking my Spanish GCSE this year.. I’m hoping to get a grade 8 or 9 but am not quite sure what the best way to revise is.
Have you got any tips? How did you revise for the exams??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
(Original post by eviemaddy)
Hey! I’m in year 11 rn and am taking my Spanish GCSE this year.. I’m hoping to get a grade 8 or 9 but am not quite sure what the best way to revise is.
Hey, so what I did was listen to Spanish. You need to hear that Spanish everywhere, even if you dont understand it. Even though its quite cliche, you need to watch movies in spanish (you can have eng subs).Listen to the Spanish radio in the background while you do homework, read Spanish articles etc. Even if you don't understand it fully, you're still absorbing that spanish. I had a Spanish CGP revision guide and honestly, it works. Get the one with practice exam papers at the back because it also comes with the practice listening questions too. Also, try to speak spanish. My friend and I would speak Spanish at break times, not complex things but things like: "how are you?" "what are you eating now?" simple questions and statements. Also, listen to Spanish music because it helps with certain words and then look at the English translation of the lyrics because it actually helps. There are words you've never heard before in the listening exam, however, you remember certain words from the music and you're like "oh yeah" and you can put it in context. Hope that helps and you can ask me whatever. Good luck!
AnonP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Learn set phrases to use in speaking and writing, got me a grade 9. (95% overall)
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Do you get annoyed with yourself for not getting a 9?

How much time do you spend practicing languages outside of lesstons?

Do you have to study hard to be good at Spannish or do you jsut generally enjoy it?

[I hated langauges at school, didn't do any for GCSE lol]
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
Also, you can't really make "notes" for Spanish. You need to, however, know the conjugations of words inside out, especially the irregular ones as they tend to be quite hard. Make tables for the verbs and conjugate them. Also for the speaking exam, I advise you should memorise some phrases that make the examiner happy to give you marks. For the reading exam, you need to read Spanish texts and break them down so you understand it. For the writing, you need to do a few exam questions. Practice writing paragraphs about your family, education at school, describing your neighbourhood etc. (that's the themes for aqa btw). For the listening exam, you need to get your ears used to Spanish. They will speak fast and say words you've never heard before but the more Spanish the better.
eviemaddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
Hey, so what I did was listen to Spanish. You need to hear that Spanish everywhere, even if you dont understand it. Even though its quite cliche, you need to watch movies in spanish (you can have eng subs).Listen to the Spanish radio in the background while you do homework, read Spanish articles etc. Even if you don't understand it fully, you're still absorbing that spanish. I had a Spanish CGP revision guide and honestly, it works. Get the one with practice exam papers at the back because it also comes with the practice listening questions too. Also, try to speak spanish. My friend and I would speak Spanish at break times, not complex things but things like: "how are you?" "what are you eating now?" simple questions and statements. Also, listen to Spanish music because it helps with certain words and then look at the English translation of the lyrics because it actually helps. There are words you've never heard before in the listening exam, however, you remember certain words from the music and you're like "oh yeah" and you can put it in context. Hope that helps and you can ask me whatever. Good luck!
Thank you!! They sound like great ideas hahaha
I’d never thought to do most of these!! 😂
eviemaddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AnonP)
Learn set phrases to use in speaking and writing, got me a grade 9. (95% overall)
Thanks! Do you have any examples??
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
(Original post by centraltrains)
Do you get annoyed with yourself for not getting a 9?

How much time do you spend practicing languages outside of lesstons?

Do you have to study hard to be good at Spannish or do you jsut generally enjoy it?

[I hated langauges at school, didn't do any for GCSE lol]
No I'm not annoyed really. I went from a grade 2 to an 8 so I'm quite proud. To be honest, I didn't do a lot of revision, I just listened to a lot of Spanish, and I used to speak it with my friends. I actually did enjoy Spanish as my teacher was quite a good one. He was very interactive and we learnt through online activities and exam questions.
Last edited by miss_ambitious; 6 months ago
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
Thank you!! They sound like great ideas hahaha
I’d never thought to do most of these!! 😂
they really help lol. Do you enjoy Spanish and what exam board are you doing?
eviemaddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
they really help lol. Do you enjoy Spanish and what exam board are you doing?
Im pretty sure I’m doing AQA, and yeah I actually really enjoy Spanish. None of my friends do but I’ve applied to do it at college I like it so much 😂 it’s because I really want to be bilingual or more
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
Im pretty sure I’m doing AQA, and yeah I actually really enjoy Spanish. None of my friends do but I’ve applied to do it at college I like it so much 😂 it’s because I really want to be bilingual or more
On the AQA website for Spanish, they have all the keywords that come up in the exam. Practice those and understand it and there's also the examiner reports. They're messages from the ACTUAL examiner and saying what they like to see and what they don't like to see. They also explain what high achieving students do so check it out. Use memrise (friggin lifesaver!) just write AQA Spanish and ALL the words and phrases come up. Also, use quizlet that's also another brilliant app/website.
eviemaddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
On the AQA website for Spanish, they have all the keywords that come up in the exam. Practice those and understand it and there's also the examiner reports. They're messages from the ACTUAL examiner and saying what they like to see and what they don't like to see. They also explain what high achieving students do so check it out. Use memrise (friggin lifesaver!) just write AQA Spanish and ALL the words and phrases come up. Also, use quizlet that's also another brilliant app/website.
Hahah wow that’s perfect! Thank you so much 😊
abdelismail31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
commo estas?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
¿Qué?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alisha246
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Any high level phrases to use in writing or speaking Spanish gcse? Thanks
Isabellapetch
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey guys. So I'm currently in yr11, however, in our school, you take a choice GCSE and language GCSE early in yr10. I managed to get a grade 8 for Spanish. So what do you want to know?
I got a grade 9.
SpanishBook
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got a 9 and I'm not even a native speaker
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by isabellapetch)
i got a grade 9.
thats amazing! Im so happy for u. You should be proud!
miss_ambitious
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SpanishBook)
I got a 9 and I'm not even a native speaker
That's brilliant! It just shows how much time and effort pays off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads