I can't stop obsessing over my BMI Watch

xBeautifulMind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Every morning I weigh myself and then calculate my BMI. Over the summer, I became underweight and my BMI reached 17.8 from restricting what I ate because I have bad body image. Then after a while I decided to try and recover and eat more healthily. But now my BMI has reached 20 and I feel awful. I just want my BMI to be below 18.5 again even though restriction is a miserable process. It is just a miserable cycle I am stuck in. Every time I reach this weight I feel like I've had enough and need to lose weight again. I feel so fat.

My diet isn't perfect and I get cravings for comfort foods like chocolate and biscuits, but I don't binge. I'm fairly active, I do 3 x 5k runs per week and do yoga. Just how can I be happy at a healthy weight when my mind keeps saying I have to be underweight, but then even that's miserable
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by xBeautifulMind)
Every morning I weigh myself and then calculate my BMI. Over the summer, I became underweight and my BMI reached 17.8 from restricting what I ate because I have bad body image. Then after a while I decided to try and recover and eat more healthily. But now my BMI has reached 20 and I feel awful. I just want my BMI to be below 18.5 again even though restriction is a miserable process. It is just a miserable cycle I am stuck in. Every time I reach this weight I feel like I've had enough and need to lose weight again. I feel so fat.

My diet isn't perfect and I get cravings for comfort foods like chocolate and biscuits, but I don't binge. I'm fairly active, I do 3 x 5k runs per week and do yoga. Just how can I be happy at a healthy weight when my mind keeps saying I have to be underweight, but then even that's miserable
You don't have to be at a healthy weight to be more or less healthy. I am permanently underweight and my health isn't too bad. You just need to make the right diet choices, while living on a permanently low calorie diet.
username4335676
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It’s just a number
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by xBeautifulMind)

BMI isn't a great measurement. No point obsessing over it. Focus on a healthy balanced diet exercise and looking and feeling good. A bit of comfort food isn't a crime either.

If it's an idea you just can't shake you might like to consider a little bit of therapy to help you get through it. It's the sort of thing that can build and build so if you feel like that could happen it's better to address it sooner rather than later.

Health isn't something you can put a number to. They can be helpful as guides, but if you let them get in the way of living it's doing more harm than good.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads