*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread MK IV Watch

Anonymous5005
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Linalolo)
It should be. There are some universities that do not pay much attention to GCSE's anyway. Just make sure you are doing sciences maths english
Thanks!! I'm doing those subjects so I guess I can have peace of mind finally! Just hope I'm good enough for Oxbridge :3
Anonymous5005
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It should be. There are some universities that do not pay much attention to GCSE's anyway. Just make sure you are doing sciences maths english
Thanks!! I'm doing those subjects so I guess I can have peace of mind finally! Just hope I'm good enough for Oxbridge :3
Silverswan04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Most oxbridge applicants will have 7A*’s and above at GCSE and that’s usually what they will require as entry requirements. I think Cambridge look at GCSE results more than Oxford though
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous5005)
Thanks for the reply!
I'm planning on taking 4 or 5 A levels next year. I'm also currently doing my Maths A levels alongside my gcses because my teachers think I'm too advanced for GCSE :3 I guess i just have to work my best for it!
Why are you even considering doing 5 A-levels?
Linalolo
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
you dont NEED oxbridge. You will learn with time to appreciate getting into any med school in UK. Thats me. I am repeating the year to try to get in. There is a chance I wont too. So you have to work super hard
SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Silverswan04)
Most oxbridge applicants will have 7A*’s and above at GCSE and that’s usually what they will require as entry requirements. I think Cambridge look at GCSE results more than Oxford though
It’s true most successful applicants will have a higher number of A*s at GCSEs but if other parts of your application are to a good standard, you should be considered right?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous5005
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Why are you even considering doing 5 A-levels?
Will that be too much? Well I'll be done with my maths A levels one year before my other A levels so i thought i would have time to take up another subject. My teachers recommended me doing further maths if i can alongside chemistry biology and physics for A levels. Don't know if I'll be able to handle them all TT Guess I'll just focus on my GCSEs for the time being.
Anonymous5005
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
you dont NEED oxbridge. You will learn with time to appreciate getting into any med school in UK. Thats me. I am repeating the year to try to get in. There is a chance I wont too. So you have to work super hard
I guess you are right!! Best of luck for your future ^^ meanwhile I'll work super hard!
username3586622
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
guys i am not sure whether i should a gap year to di my science alevels because currently i am not studying the sciences as alevels but i am studying health and social care , mathes and ict . i got all c's for gcse but i am hoping to get good grades at alevel. guys should i go to uni and try the graduate entry to medicnce or should i take gap year to dod the science alevels and then apply to medicne with a foundation year. i really want to do medicine it is one of my dream. i really need help to decide which steps i shoukd take to get to medicine.i dont know what is best for now. i do not want to give upnon medicine. please help me!
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Will that be too much? Well I'll be done with my maths A levels one year before my other A levels so i thought i would have time to take up another subject. My teachers recommended me doing further maths if i can alongside chemistry biology and physics for A levels. Don't know if I'll be able to handle them all TT Guess I'll just focus on my GCSEs for the time being.
Depends. You're not giving yourself an advantage and if you don't get AAA minimum (including bio and chem), you're not getting into medical school. I would personally strongly advise against doing five at once. Even four isn't strictly necessary anymore.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Bushtank)
(1) Always aim for undergraduate medicine if you can (it's less competitive)
(2) Some GEM courses may require science A-Levels at BBB grades

Another important thing is (realistically) how likely are you to get all As (or better) if you got all Cs at GCSEs?

And are you eligible for foundation courses?
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
username3586622
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
(2) Some GEM courses may require science A-Levels at CCC grades

Another important thing is (realistically) how likely are you to get all As (or better) if you got all Cs at GCSEs?

if i do the science aleevels during my gap year wilk they count towards my gradute entry
username3586622
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
(2) Some GEM courses may require science A-Levels at CCC grades

i want to apply to either diagnostic radiography or biomedical science degree with a foundation year , which one is the best option.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
if i do the science aleevels during my gap year wilk they count towards my gradute entry
As I said, avoid GEM if you can. For undergrad medicine it's common that you have to achieve all your grades in 2 years, I will wait for those who know better than me whether it's the same for GEM. You will need 1st or 2:1 in your degree to even have a chance, and the UKCAT threshold is usually higher.

It's BBB at A-Levels by the way, not CCC - this is for the med schools who do require A-Levels for GEM.

i want to apply to either diagnostic radiography or biomedical science degree with a foundation year , which one is the best option.
Biomedical sciences - someone already posted in another thread earlier this week, applying for Physiotherapy as their "backup". It's usually not wise to apply for a degree which could lead to a career as your "backup", you will most likely get rejected.
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
Hilary4546
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi I’ve applied for Lambeth, C&I & Harrow college for access to medicine. I’m just about to finish my A-levels hopefully a BBB in history,psychology & media. I’ve read a lot about people saying you have to wait a couple years before starting the access course but I’ve spoken to some unis (kings&st georges) and they say they have no restrictions. I would just like a bit of help
1. I am 19, will I be entitled to the loan even if I’ve done a levels
2. What is the success rate & what do I need to know before I hopefully get started.
3. Any other useful information ( anything in relation to the course or medicine in general I’m open to it need all the hope I can get)
Feel free to ask me any questions that might help you help me
Thank you.
username3586622
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Hilary4546)
Hi I’ve applied for Lambeth, C&I & Harrow college for access to medicine. I’m just about to finish my A-levels hopefully a BBB in history,psychology & media. I’ve read a lot about people saying you have to wait a couple years before starting the access course but I’ve spoken to some unis (kings&st georges) and they say they have no restrictions. I would just like a bit of help
1. I am 19, will I be entitled to the loan even if I’ve done a levels
2. What is the success rate & what do I need to know before I hopefully get started.
3. Any other useful information ( anything in relation to the course or medicine in general I’m open to it need all the hope I can get)
Feel free to ask me any questions that might help you help me
Thank you.
even i would like to know about this because i am confused of whether to go uni or try that
999tigger
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Ramuk0002)
I did my GCSEs in the Summer of 2017 from a state school and got 988 6A*s and 2As, where I got As in Biology and Spanish. I was stupid and thought that GCSEs were only used to allow you to get into your preferred A-levels. I found that my biology paper was 1 UMS from an A* and appealed for remark but the exam officer was quite adamant for me to reconsider, stating that remarking would not make a difference as I already had many A*s. I had already been fighting for a remark for over two months and eventually gave in.

I now realize that if I had remarked the paper, I would have more than 3 times the chance of getting into my preferred university (Oxford). My Spanish grade was also really close - i had achieved 3A*s and an A in the 4 modules contributing to the overall grade (all are equally weighted). The module I got an A grade in was the Spanish writing and my teacher had told me that I had achieved an A* in the module.

Is there a way of notifying the universities of how close my GCSEs were to 10 A*s; I am currently in year 13 and sent off my application for medicine on the 15th October?
How have you worked pit that the difference between A and an A* at GCSE would mean you had 3x the chance of gaining entry?
Why do you need to fight for a remark you just pay for it if you want one?
Ramuk0002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I looked on the Oxford university website for their GCSE statistics :https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

At my school you have to go through the exam officer to process your remark and make the payment. She was usually really busy and it was hard to get through to her, especially during the beginning of the year. Her priority for remarking, she told me, was those who had recieved Ds and so I was put at low priority, hence the wait. By 'fight' I mean it was hard to convince her to process my remark sooner.
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Is there a way of notifying the universities of how close my GCSEs were to 10 A*s; I am currently in year 13 and sent off my application for medicine on the 15th October?
Unless your marks are given on your awards certificate or final transcript, there’s no way really. Your referee could’ve mentioned it though.

They’ll usually only score your application on your final awarded grades though, so it’s unlikley to make much, if any, difference.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Far too late now anyway... and it wouldn't make much, if any, difference.

PS. Moved to Medicine
Last edited by Doones; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%